Nikon D90 & 24fps

Christopher Arata

David Pogue also has a (short, relatively non-technical) review in The New York Times, writing about the video aspect as a "game-changer":

there?s something much bigger going on here. ... any control, effect or lens that?s available to the D90?s still photos is now available for videos ... excellent image stabilization when using a Nikon VR lens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/technolo...;pagewanted=all

I'm particularly curious about the image stabilization.

Also, I'm curious about resolving/sync and the stability of its 24 fps.

Looks like a nice tool. :)

Jeez Louise, another lecture about how a new camera will not make your script or actors better?? This is not a swipe at Walter, who is a guy I like and respect very much. I understand why he posted this. But just generally speaking, this is getting old. The OP did not make any claims about a DSLR shooting a great movie. He was simply pointing out some new technology. I think everyone who signs up here should have to sign a waiver that reads, "I understand and concur that new cameras will not make me a great filmmaker, nor improve my actors, scripts, blocking, sets, etc." Then we can all be spared these lectures. Can we all agree not to keep beating this dead horse unless some pimple-face punk actually shows up here and literally claims that some new camera is going to make him a great filmmaker? :lol:

Regarding this camera, I think it will become useful when it can shoot 1920x1280. One use for such a camera would be stock nature shooting in remote places like mountains. I just hauled 80 freakin pounds of camera and gear up a 6-mile trail in the Sierras on Thursday night. Something like a compact DSLR that can shoot high-quality landscapes would be a great new tool, IMHO. My legs would certainly appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in NY for a week towards the end of the month shooting a documentary with the D90 and the HVX200. Imagine the places you can go with a small DSLR that you couldn't dream of going with a camcorder, even one as small as the HVX200! We'll be on the subway shooting 720p with the D90, and everyone will think I'm just another tourist snapping photos for my scrapbook... sounds like something Mr. Maysles would very quickly fall in love with ("What you must do in documentary filmmaking is get close, get very, very close." -A. Maysles).

everyone will think I'm just another tourist snapping photos for my scrapbook..

A major appeal for me, but if this becomes ubiquitous then our game is up maybe ? :(

I hope RED's DSLR doesn't end up looking like some kind of high tech weapon.....

(photojournalists will want to stay away in droves if it does)

-Sam

A major appeal for me, but if this becomes ubiquitous then our game is up maybe ? :(

-Sam

When the playing field is completely leveled, it will all come down to the skill of the operator or the DP. That is the beauty and harshness of technology. I see (older, expensive) DP's who have been somewhat to greatly displaced by cheaper, younger HD shooters. One's got to keep the edge, and in the world of ever increasingly cheaper HD equipment, it means doing it for cheap too as everyone and their moms are rushing to become camera ops/ DP's. It sucks, but patience and skill hopefully will payback. (This is written for me as well, as it really breaks my heart sometimes.)

Edited by Saul Rodgar