AFI

Ashley Barron

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me what would be the best material to submit for an AFI application. I have shot mainly commercials, documentary and 2 short films and wanted to shoot more. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could advise me as to what AFI may be looking for and/or what would be most beneficial for me to shoot in a short period of time.

Also, if anybody has been through the process of applying, it would be great if you could share your experiences.

Thanking you in advance,

Ashley.

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me what would be the best material to submit for an AFI application. I have shot mainly commercials, documentary and 2 short films and wanted to shoot more. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could advise me as to what AFI may be looking for and/or what would be most beneficial for me to shoot in a short period of time.

Also, if anybody has been through the process of applying, it would be great if you could share your experiences.

Thanking you in advance,

Ashley.

Ashley,

I went to AFI a long time ago so I can't say what they're looking for today. That said, why don't you write or call and ask them?

In the real world, very few people who view movies really knows what makes good cinematography. But they do know if they like the movie! You might consider submitting your strongest movies rather than the ones you think show the best cinematography.

Good luck!

Hi Ashley,

I applied for AFI cinematography program for this fall, I submitted only one short film that I made for the purpose of applying to AFI, that was my first film, I got interviewed but unfortunately didn't get accepted. I am going to try again for next fall, I am also thinking about making another short film because I think I need to improve my portfolio. I need some advice from people who went to AFI and maybe have their work available online for us to see.

Here is the film I submitted:

http://www.vimeo.com/1197408

Anybody got accepted this year? What kind of work did you guys submit to AFI? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hong