New reel

justinbrown

Hi everyone,

Im in the process of cutting my showreel today and for the next week and this is my first cut. Its All S16 with one HD shoot.

I was wondering if you could let me know of anything that would make the reel better, if you like it or dont, and

pace

music

if the cuts work

anyshots that should play longer

anyshots that dont work, or you dont like

and what you think does work

Its on Youtube at the moment, but when i have a locked cut i'll put it on my website which will of course be a better codec and much better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-B3Qem2i4U

Thank you for you help

Best Regards

Justin Brown

Hey Justin,

I really enjoyed your reel, there are some very nice shots in there. You seem to have it down about grouping shots and keeping sequences to show continuity. A more objective note - its always nice to start with a title and then fade into the shots. There seemed to be some strange pausing and no fade in, just a little jarring when you press play. But the music was a good choice.

There are a few shots you might consider taking out: the sequence that occurs around 1:03, and a shot thats a little too grainy at 2:06. There's also a series of closeups that occur from 2:19 to around 2:37 that you don't necessarily need. They're nice and all, but we've already seen plenty of shots of those characters in the same visual style, so its not really adding to your reel, only tacking on more time that the viewer doesn't want to sit there watching basically the same shots.

Other than that you've got a great reel on your hands!

Thanks Tom,

Im in the process at the moment of cutting a linear reel, which basically has one film, then another, then another as after i showed it to a BSC member and his producer and they said they prefered to see different styles and got a bit confused when the reel cut back and forth between films.

I understand what you mean about the series of shots around 1:06, i've added one of those shots at the end of the next reel and i've also added another film, its 4 mins in total just waiting for it to bloody upload, but would be good to hear what you all thought about the two different styles of reels, and what you think that producers or people who'll hire you will think upon watching a reel and what there looking for.

Best Regards

Justin

Crap--I don't even know what to look for in a reel, but I really liked it on all levels!!!

The only thing I don't get is why are all these reels so "serious." Can't you utilize two differing styles of music/two songs, and alternate when it's an upbeat scene (like the game room ones) and then switch for the dramatic ones?

I understand that young filmmakers want to do the serious stuff, but 75% of movie stuff being produced ISN'T, and 90% of advertising and other commercial work SURE isn't.

It just seems that even with some of your same scenes, just by lightening up on the audio making it more fun and spirited, that would make a producer/director take notice.