UK copanies 8/16mm scan to exr

wolfgang haak

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a company that can scan 8mm and 16mm film to .exr or similar. There are tone of companies that offer all sorts of "home" coversions, but I'm interested in getting back a stack of openEXR files.

If there's no-one catering for small film formats in the UK, I'll happily look further afield, suggestions welcome!

Thanks a lot...

regards,

Wolfgang

Guest tylerhawes

Playing Devil's Advocate... why on Earth would you need to make Open EXR files out of 8mm or 16mm film as opposed to TIFF/DPX, which is much more readily available? If it's lavish quality you want, you could always scan to 16-bit files...

.exr or similar.

Yes I'm after a greater dynamic range. Not fussed about the format really, as long as AE/Fusion accept the format as footage.

(hence the post title, "scan to ..." ;)

I'm asking around here as I've written to about 9 or 10 places so far, but no luck.

regards,

Wolfgang

Playing Devil's Advocate... why on Earth would you need to make Open EXR files out of 8mm or 16mm film as opposed to TIFF/DPX, which is much more readily available? If it's lavish quality you want, you could always scan to 16-bit files...

• Premium Member

I suspect you will find that most places with what you might call a "nice" telecine would have to hire in the 8mm gate, which may make it cost more than you want to pay. I would be surprised if you couldn't find somewhere to do it, though; there are 8mm spirit gates available in London.

P

I suspect you will find that most places with what you might call a "nice" telecine would have to hire in the 8mm gate, which may make it cost more than you want to pay. I would be surprised if you couldn't find somewhere to do it, though; there are 8mm spirit gates available in London.

P

Phil, Tnaks for that, I found "Rushes" who are also organising soho short film festival, which is coincidently where my project is heading (next year...)

Cheers!

Wolfgang

So how much have prices dropped for DPX scanned in the last 12months (I've been away). About a year ago a load of cheaper scanners were being released. Has this effect TK prices yet?

Whats the best price anyone can get nowadays for international mail order scans? to DPX or other.