2 Part Question: Camera Control Unit for the SR3? Rental houses?

Tyler Poppe

Hey all,

This is going to sound like a very dumb question:

I am shooting a short with the SR3, and would love to go from a regular 24fps to something a lot faster to give the regular motion to slow motion in one take. As you can see I am not a cinematographer, so I am not good with the terminology.

I am having trouble locating control unit for this camera in particular. Also, is the particular thing I am looking for not called a control unit?

Finally, I know the motor can change on the fly, but the aperture can't so what is piece of equipment called as well?

• Premium Member

You need an RCU. Every rental house that has the SR3 should have them.

If you want to adjust iris (as opposed to shutter) to compensate for exposure when ramping, you probably need to get a Preston with an FX box, or at least some kind of wireless focus controller so you can do the pull by hand.

You need an RCU. Every rental house that has the SR3 should have them.

If you want to adjust iris (as opposed to shutter) to compensate for exposure when ramping, you probably need to get a Preston with an FX box, or at least some kind of wireless focus controller so you can do the pull by hand.

Interesting. So it's called an RCU. OKay cool. Now will the rental houses have Preston with an FX Box? Have you had any experience with using this type of set up?

• Premium Member

Yes, every rental house can get you the Preston and the FX.

I've used the RCU, but never the FX. I've heard good things about it, but haven't needed it since it was introduced. Here's the link to Preston's website for some info about the FX: FX

Yes, every rental house can get you the Preston and the FX.

I've used the RCU, but never the FX. I've heard good things about it, but haven't needed it since it was introduced. Here's the link to Preston's website for some info about the FX: FX

Okay cool. Thank you for your help!