BOLEX EL MK3 - VIEWFINDER ALTERATION

Declan ODwyer

Hi all.

New to the forum... So, please forgive my ignorance - I'm trying to work a way of converting my BOLEX MkIII EL's into workable hand-held rigs. Is it possible to re-align/replace the viewfinder - into/with a more 'conventional' and some would say 'comfortable' SR(esque) operating position.

Possible consideration would be to get a video tap (from Mark Roberts) - and use a LCD monitor - does anyone have experience with this?

All the best

Declan

Converting the viewfinder into a SR-style orientable viewfinder would be a major redesign and would be very costly. Why not simply hang your video assist onto the eyepiece? This is the simplest and least expensive solution. No modification to the camera is necessary. I have provided many custom units like this for my customers.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks for the advice, Jean-Louis.

That seems like the most logical approach. I haven't got a video assist at the moment - what would you recommend?

Also, I have a collection of old but pristine Canon FD lenses... what practical problems will I encounter if I stick 'em on the business end of the EL?

Thanks again.

Declan

Thanks for the advice, Jean-Louis.

That seems like the most logical approach. I haven't got a video assist at the moment - what would you recommend?

Also, I have a collection of old but pristine Canon FD lenses... what practical problems will I encounter if I stick 'em on the business end of the EL?

Thanks again.

Declan

[/quote

Hi Declan,

I have been using cameras wit an ExView chip which sees in virtual darkness. Great image even stopped down to f/11. I'll be working on some new prototypes soon. I'll send you pics to show you what it looks like.

Canon FD lenses should work fine with the appropriate adapter. Focus scale may be slightly off because of the adapter so it would be safer to focus using the viewfinder image. Worse case scenario would be that lenses do not quite focus at infinity in which case collimation would be necessary.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

I'd be VERY interested in seeing what you're doing with the ExView.

Thank you so much for the advice.

All the best

Declan

P.S. Tweeked Canon FD's it is then... Thanks.

I will advise you when I have something.

It may take a while as I am swamped right now.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis