Two Clapper Boards? A+B Camera.. Need Help

Onder Koc

First Post.. woot. I would love to say i love the wealth of information and professionalisim on this forum unlike other indie forums. I'm a producer/dop from London... somethings been buging me is how to use two cameras A and B with a clapper board (non-digital)... how can i sync if i use two seprate boards.

Workflow is HD with Photographic Lenses. Youre ideas are what im after.

• Premium Member

If you're shooting double system sound (sound and picture recorded separately) on HD, then you don't necessarily need slates to maintain sync, though of course it's helpful as a backup and also for the editor to note which scene is which. Ideally you would jam sync the timecode of both cameras and the sound recorder to a master clock so that they all are running the exact same timecode. You would rejam the timecode once in the morning and once at lunch, more often if necessary. Talk to your sound recordist about this, they'll be able to help you out.

For slating with two cameras, you can get away with using one slate if both cameras are shooting the same scene. You have the 2nd AC call out "A camera mark" and clap once, then reposition herself for the B camera and call out "B camera mark" and clap again. You'd need another slate if you decide the split off the 2nd camera into its own separate unit. Of course, then you need two 2nd ACs so it all balances out.

• Premium Member

If you do this I would try hard to have a smartslate for each camera. That way you can always be assured that picture and sound sync will be perfect and simple. They're not expensive to rent and do save time in post.

Otherwise, Satsuki briefed you well. Sometimes if both cameras are on the same scene and can both see the same area, you can common slate. Just mark it so on the slate. When it comes time to mark you just need to make sure both cameras get a few frames of the slate's text side and a clear view of the sticks closing. They don't both need to see the front of the slate at the same time.

Ideally you would jam sync the timecode of both cameras and the sound recorder to a master clock so that they all are running the exact same timecode.

Yep, and in this case you don't even have to clap the sticks. Just show the timecode to both cameras. It's mostly for the editor so he/she can sync the multi-camera footage to get perfect continuity.

• Premium Member
hrrrm, no thanks, seems a bit extreme and perhaps disruptive of the actors' performances.

I tend to agree but I'll file that away in my head. It seems like it would be a quick nice way to sync multi cameras for stunts.

Cheers Satsuki... ive allready got a camera op, 1st AC and 2nd AC for A camera and B camera. I thought it would be done like that, just wanted to clarify... what about script/continuity log with slate numbers and two cameras?

• Premium Member
Cheers Satsuki... ive allready got a camera op, 1st AC and 2nd AC for A camera and B camera. I thought it would be done like that, just wanted to clarify... what about script/continuity log with slate numbers and two cameras?

I've never been a scripty but it shouldn't get too complicated with a second camera. Either there's a second camera shooting a scene, in which they just mark somehow that there is 2 camera coverage and what that coverage is, or the second camera becomes a second unit and they take a scripty (on big movies perhaps this is done..? anyone know about multiple scripties?) or they get "marching orders" on how to slate the scene(s) and get to it.

Also, kocondor, you need to go into your control panel and change your display name to your full first and last name. It's a forum policy to help keep things civil and professional.

Edited by Chris Keth