right lights to shoot big churches

Hi friends

I work in jerusalem,

I saw the comments from tim dashwood in using HZ-CA13U adaptor, with primer lenses 16mm on JVC camcorder.

We are producing some series about the sanctuaries of the holy land, but we will need to improve our shoots investing in other equipments as: lights, one HZ-CA13U and primer lens.

In your opinion to shoot big churches outside and inside, the equipments of lightings that we have is enough, or i need to acquire others.

We are working here with GY-HD251CHE 1/3" 3CCD ProHD Camcorder - PAL (with 16x5,5 lens fujinon)

We have DTR800kit 800W LAMPS - REDHEADS kit of 3

03 - TSL1000 1KW FRESNEL FXTURE

03 - 6 TSL650 650W FRESNEL FIXTURE

02- CTLX255W 2x55W FLOURESCENT LIGHTS

We are producing some series about the sanctuaries of the holy land, but we will need to improve our shoots investing in other equipments .

In your opinion to shoot big churches outside and inside, the equipments of lightings that we have is enough, or i need to acquire others.

I will be very grateful, if you send me our comments about.

the best greetings from Jerusalem

Cristiano Assuncao

For three years I traveled around U.S and canada shooting churches for a Television series...I shot many many sanctuaries and never felt like I needed big lights...most sanctuaries I've come across have big and colorful windows...you just have to find the best time of the day for the positioning of the sun, if you can afford that.

The challenge I faced in these sanctuaries was mostly dealt with splashes of lights into deep and dark wooden areas...so i would carry a wealth of source fours, dedos...or simply 650 fresnels and peppers...you also need lower stands or baseplates screwed into panckackes so you can hide your lights/peppers behind the altar or pews

Now if you have some money and want to invest and enhance your visual language, i would look towards Ultrawide lenses (even fish eye)/ Dolly and tracks/ and a Jib arm...any of these tools would greatly change your regular camera-on-sticks look..

good luck...

• Premium Member

Definitively wait until the sun is in your favor.

I'm not sure, though I 100% agree with the wide angle lenses, as you might get some distortion which you may want to avoid. I think that's a personal choice and of course a valid one (to have the distortion), just something to keep in mind.

Some shift/tilt lenses would be very interesting to shoot architecture with.