Work light color temp

hmc4me

I'm pretty sure they're tungsten-balanced, so you should figure around 3000-3500K as a starting point for their color temperature. Of course, this will vary based on voltage and different brands of work lights and different brands of light bulbs.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

No problem. They do look quite white. But then again, even the old school bulbs look white if you get them bright enough. My 1500W bar light looks as bright as the sun. I'm still seeing it as I type this :lol: Just remember tha halogens don't seem as bright but get even hotter than conventional lighting. So be careful if you're using multiple banks.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Those worklamps use quartz halogen bulbs, which are quite hot in terms of Kelvin. Perhaps it's just me, but it almost seems as if higher wattages seem to have higher CT than lower. My 300W worklamp seems warmer than my 1kW, but that could simply be my eyes playing tricks on me due to the difference in brightness.

3500K-3600K works well for me.

• Premium Member

They're certainly higher than the roughly 2800 K we get from common tungsten/argon/borosilicate incandescents, but I doubt that they'd run above the usual movie standard of 3200 K. Color temperature varies directly with the true temperature of the filament, and the higher you push it, the shorter the bulb life. CT also varies with the voltage the lamp is getting, so you can't just go by the number on the bulb.

The best approach would be to find someone who has a CT meter you can borrow and measure them. Another thing to try would be using a good incident meter to measure some known sources thru strong red and blue filters. Note the difference expressed in stops for each source. That's basically how some CT meters work.

-- J.S.