Mystery stock

Michael Nash

• Premium Member

I worked on a project recently that got a "great deal" on some unreleased stock from Kodak, I believe called Special Order 80. Rumor had it that the stock was developed for a TV show that never happened, and Kodak is trying to unload the surplus. I can see how this kind of thing can happen, but I'm curious about this particular stock and its characteristics. I was the gaffer and not the DP, so the lack of testing didn't scare me but left me curious just the same.

I'm assuming that since the stock was designed for TV it's probably a little flat and neutral to leave room for telecine tweaking. I wonder how the color, gamma, and grain compare to the other 500T stocks like 5218 and 5284. We lit and shot out project under the assumption that the stock wasn't TOO radically different from other modern Kodak 500T stocks, and I got a report form the DP that the telecine went fine and the producers were thrilled with the results.

Still, inquiring minds want to know. Mr Pytlak?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John:

I have sort of a mistery stoke question. I was shooting Kodak 5298. Some of the footage was recans. Some of the cores where different colors. I thought Kodak always used the same color core. Wazup?

Bob Hayes

• Premium Member

I suspect your "recans" had been rewound, using other cores. Although Kodak is currently testing a new core design and core material, primarily for use with print film, I don't think that is what you received.

What identification information is molded into the plastic center web of the cores? What color are the cores? Kodak camera film cores have been white polystyrene for quite some time.

All of the 35mm camera film I've been shooting always had the same color and size cores - white, 2". I've shot hundreds of rolls by this time, most of them short ends.

Btw, I have an old 16mm Kodak core from what must have been right after WWII (from Europe), it's green.

- G.

Kodak cores use to be classic Kodak yellow (we all know that color). Now they're all white. But I've seen green cores as well, I think from Fuji. Have some brown cores and some black ones as well.

Kodaliths have been used for graphics and printing work for decades. I suspect they are dying out as everything shifts to digital. But I shot some credits material using Kodaliths just a few years ago.

• Premium Member

You can always obtain any stocked Kodak product through the appropriate business unit of Kodak, or ask your Kodak Entertainment Imaging (EI) representative to point you in the right direction.

Search on the general Kodak website: http://www.kodak.com

Here are the Kodak EI sales offices worldwide:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/order/of...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

Other Kodak products have sometimes been finished to motion-picture formats as "Special Order", but there are quantity requirements, usually amounting to at least a "wide roll" sized order. And you are "on your own" using a product not designed for motion-picture use.

Request to Tim, could we have a separate forum topic on Cores? Just kidding - although it would probably be more peaceful of a place than the 16mm versus video threads :)

Yeah, I also remember the yellow cores for 16mm, there also orange ones. I know there are third party places that also sell cores, I have black 3" 16mm cores. The green core I have is definitely EKC - labelled.

By the way, are the Eyemo spools still metal, or have they switched to plastic? I just went to MPE not too long ago and they gave me plastic 100' 35mm camera spools (they even had a 1 and 2 on opposite sides like the 1/2" audio tape - made me wonder why - unless there's a "double 17.5 mm" format out there :blink: )

- G.