Light meter for a begginner?? Sekonic L-208/ 398A??

James Millward

Im looking for a low cost light meter to use with super8 and maybe later 16mm.

I havent got a lot to spend, but I figure it will save me alot of wasted film if I can get one and learn how to use it correctly.

Im looking at the sekonic Twinmate L-208 or the 398A

Are these meters suitable for my use. The 208 is cheaper, so would like to go that route if the 398A isnt going to offer anything more (to me at least)

Can either of the meters be set to 64 asa (ie for Ektachrome 64t)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

I have an L-398 - it's fine for filmmaking - that's what it's for.

Be sure to check any lightmeter you get (particularly a used one) against a known good calibrated source light meter. My current L398 is one stop oversensitive, I have to compensate in my head whenever I use it. My previous one was spot on, but it died after 20+ years.

• 4 months later...
Im looking for a low cost light meter to use with super8 and maybe later 16mm.

Hello James,

I haven't used either of the meters you mentioned.

You might also consider the Gossen Luna-Pro SBC. It's the only meter I own, and I use it for still photography, Super-8, and 16. Unlike other Gossens, this meter takes a 9V battery (others of this age take the 1.35v button). The reason I like it is that it's a null-meter. That's more useful for still photography than cine, but you just zero-out your reading, and then you can see all the different exposure combinations for that light value right there on the dial. Very simple. Very convenient. I could do all that in my head, but with a null-meter, I don't have to. Since I do a lot of low-light and long-exposure work, even in cine (Auto-B or full-manual with my Nizo), I find the Gossen very useful. You'll have to get one used if you want one. In Europe, it's called Profisix SBC. Without the "SBC", it's a different model.

If you do buy a used light meter, make sure you get one that's accurate and reliable!