Pop Quiz Grips

Joseph Rudolph

You have been hired as a key grip/gaffer on a hip hop music video shot in HD, it has the following locations/scenes:

House Party Day/Night

Club

Green Screen

Street at night

You have access to the following equipment - list attached

What do you use, why and quantity?

What other ESSENTIAL equipment would you need that is not on the list? Generator?

Extra points for creativity because equipment not on the list, will require additional funds.

post-35564-1221766026.jpg

Edited by Joseph Rudolph

There is a 6x6 silk, but a 12 x 12 frame! A 12x should be on combo stands and the list only has c-stands

You'll want some wedges with the dolly track and also some light stands (only a few lights say "with stand").

I'm not sure what that shop exactly means by "mounting kit," but you might to add a variety of clamps. Furni pads too.

Expendables (maybe you already have that from another shop though) of tape, gels, foamcore, etc would be good.

Really, you need to think about what you'll be doing and then make sure for yourself that you have what you need. Only you will have enough time/desire to focus on it for long enough to think of everything.

Edited by Michele Peterson

If this were a typical rap video, then I would need 1 briese light (or 2k openface through a chimera and then maybe a 4x4 of opal), and a 19 degree leko to put that stupid hotspot on the wall behind the rapper when he/she is performing.

Done. Use the rest of your money to pay the crew and get strippers.

Your very welcome.

The "pop quiz" was just a fun way to phrase it and I did not intend for it to be interpreted like that. While not a quiz for school, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to grip/lighting equipment. I usually just work with what I can get for free, which is what I own, a couple of 500k tungsten lights w/ umbrellas. I now have the opportunity to use much more than that, and wanted recommendation's on the basic equipment I should use.

• Premium Member
The "pop quiz" was just a fun way to phrase it and I did not intend for it to be interpreted like that. While not a quiz for school, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to grip/lighting equipment. I usually just work with what I can get for free, which is what I own, a couple of 500k tungsten lights w/ umbrellas. I now have the opportunity to use much more than that, and wanted recommendation's on the basic equipment I should use.

You should have posted in the Students and First Time Filmmakers. This would have clarified some of the confusion. I also noticed that you posted this same question in another area. Try to avoid this in the future because it makes the forum less organized. I have been harping on this issue lately of categories as well as proper screennames because I think the forum runs better when it is well organized.