Art referenced by cinematographers

Robert Sawin

What is the most Commonly referenced paintings, photography, and other motion picture art by professional Cinematographers for inspiration.

and what do you think makes these inspirations to light so profound. And if you are a cinematographer yourself what do you reference for inspiration.

as for me I like looking at modern motion picture productions television shows and even music videos. However, it is striking that the motion pictures I look at I can't help but think the cinematographer who authored these images also reference off of other paintings and works. So in one way I feel like I am referencing to an and artist who was referenced off of another artist. Almost like the torch is being handed down from one generation to the next.

Any thoughts?

Trip...

• Premium Member

Vermeer and Caravaggio are most certainly high up there in the Pantheon. For myself, I also find myself looking at photographs, mostly from the early ones, Stieglitz, Stiechen, Weston, etc. Not to mention certain other influential films from whatever genre/type x or y project is endeavoring towards.