DVX 100 Red Filter

Guest tra_si_eye

Guest tra_si_eye

I am shooting a project in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if anyone knew if Panasonic makes a red filter for the DVX100 and if so, would have the same effect as a red filter has on black n white film, especially when filming clouds and the sky. If not, is there a way to simulate that in post. Thanks

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you shoot with the red filter and then desaturate in post, yes, that'll have the same effect as shooting black and white with a red filter. It is probably a better idea to do this optically than just to do a red-channel extraction in post (which would theoretically give you the same effect, depending on how well the filter you used matched the CCD splitter filters in the camera) since if you record a red image, the DV codec in the camera will tend to use more data space for the red channel image.

The problem here is that your entire image will be recorded in the heavily-subsampled red difference plane of the image, which especially in NTSC will mean your picture appears rather soft. You might be better shooting full colour and applying standard grading tools in postproduction to achieve the contrast you want, then desaturating the result - that way you won't be throwing away the non-subsampled luminance plane.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

A polariser might produce a vaguely similar effect in that it might under some circumstances darken skies, but it won't darken other things like green leaves which a red filter certainly will. It's not the same effect, although I do generally like polarisers for video.

> Using a red filter on a color video camera will simply make everything very red.

Certainly, but if you then desaturate it in post, you'll end up with the same result as if you'd shot it black and white - with of course the caveats outlined in my first reply.

Phil