new

I am new at cinematography, but i am really interested in it, and hoping to go to NYU and become a famous cinematographer.

At this point though, i am only making student films on no budget. I am wondering if anyone has any advice to help me. And i also want to know where a good place to get lights that arent that much money.

~Carly

• Premium Member

You'd get more responses by asking specific questions. Otherwise, I recommend a general regimen of reading about filmmaking, watching good movies, thinking about what you've read and watched, and shooting to practice what you've learned. Theory and practice.

• Premium Member
..... And i also want to know where a good place to get lights that arent that much money.

Many low/no budget film-makers use halogen worklights like the ones at Lowe's and Home Depot. If you search the Forum for "worklight" and/or "halogen" you should find the threads discussing using them.

Hey David, I am about to graduate from film school in april 09. I have dp'd on many short hdv films and on a 16mm short. We are going into our final project which will be shot on 35mm. I am currently living in florida but plan to move to los angeles. What are the best ways to get my foot in the door? Im willing to do any job just to be on set. I learned more from my last 16mm project in that one week than I have in the last year and a half at school. I really want to to get my foot in the door and start paying my dues and eventually get where I want.

Thanks,

-nick

Nick.. just go to LA.. and network.. and work for free until you can get paid for what you know. I was dropped off at Universal Studios with $500 USD and no Car... I did it.. you can too! Don't be surprised if your first gig is keeping the straight Sodas and the diet Sodas separated in different Coolers... one has to start somewhere.. a good Broom can also be your friend during your entry phase ;)

Edited by David Rakoczy

Nick.. just go to LA.. and network.. and work for free until you can get paid for what you know. I was dropped off at Universal Studios with $500 USD and no Car... I did it.. you can too! Don't be surprised if your first gig is keeping the straight Sodas and the diet Sodas separated in different Coolers... one has to start somewhere.. a good Broom can also be your friend during your entry phase ;)

Thanks David, I'm very fine with coffee runs and sweeping but hows the best way to come around these productions. I mean resumes and gpa's dont mean much compared to reputation and people knowing your name. Im just uneducated on who I talk to or where to go to find these productions to get these entry jobs.

thanks,

-nick

Get a job at a Rental House.. that is how I started. There you can meet Crew Members and offer to go to work with them.. for free.. if they like you they will begin hiring you. Also look through the Hollywood Reporter and Dramalogue for gigs... there is no magic formula...

As the saying goes "Get out in the World and meet People".

• Premium Member
... and hoping to go to NYU and become a famous cinematographer.

I would concentrate on becoming a GOOD cinematographer, not a famous one. If your goal is fame, try American Idol or any of the VH1 series!

David's advice is spot on, observation and practice.

As Picasso said, "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."