What's the difference between Panasonic's AG-DVX-100 and Canon's XL-2?

Benson Marks

As someone who is thinking of being a writer/director, I'm planning to make my first movie a 90-minute, one room, dialogue-oriented stage play. I also realize that the budget for the movie will probably be really low and thus, I'll probably have to shoot digital. Given the two choices between Panasonic's AG-DVX-100 and Canon's XL-2, what are the differences between the two and which one is better for this type of movie if there is a clear choice?

• Premium Member

They'll be similar in most regards. The DVX is a nice choice and it's small which can come in very helpful in a room like that. Both are based upon the same DV25 STMPE rules. Canon might have a leg up in terms of the lens and overall design/ergonomics and the like. DVX gives more control, as far as I am aware, over how the camera records information in camera (scene files.) I would also say the DVX is a bit "faster" than the XL2, but this comes without any real world testing. DVX would be a cheaper purchase, though, and probably more prevalent in the rental market.

This is also a lot like the stills world with Nikon V Canon. There are Sony Guys, Panny Guys, and Canon guys.

• 5 weeks later...