Cheap (but good) camera tricks, magic, and special effects

Guest DerekE

Guest Derek Elrod

This week we have another 5 to 10 minute short film due. I'm hoping to incorporate something simple where people will be asking "How did he do that?" or "How did he make that look so real?"

For example, a car crash, or anything that makes an audience go Whoa!

Obviously I couldn't fake a car crash without a huge budget and hollywood trained crew, but are there any ideas of something I could with cinematography to write a story around that wow's an audience?

Edited by Derek Elrod

I think most audiences would rather have a good story and solid acting than dazzling special effects. "Stealth" would be a perfect example of this.

If you're looking at a car crash though, as a local towing company that handles totaled cars and see if they could help you out. A friend of mine had them drag a smashed up car out onto a dirt road and then took it back after they'd finished shooting all for free. And it's certainly impressive if you do it right. Like the opening of a "Lost" episode started with someone waking up with a cut over their eye, then the camera pulled back showing she'd been in a car crash. Look ahead and there was a hole in the windshield where her mother had gone through it, and she way lying in the street covered in glass and bruises. A helpful towing company, $40 in fake glass, and a good make-up artist and you could pull off that scene.

I think most audiences would rather have a good story and solid acting than dazzling special effects. "Stealth" would be a perfect example of this.

If you're looking at a car crash though, as a local towing company that handles totaled cars and see if they could help you out. A friend of mine had them drag a smashed up car out onto a dirt road and then took it back after they'd finished shooting all for free. And it's certainly impressive if you do it right. Like the opening of a "Lost" episode started with someone waking up with a cut over their eye, then the camera pulled back showing she'd been in a car crash. Look ahead and there was a hole in the windshield where her mother had gone through it, and she way lying in the street covered in glass and bruises. A helpful towing company, $40 in fake glass, and a good make-up artist and you could pull off that scene.

Thats great advice man...

• Premium Member

One thing you might try is the expendable mirror trick. Set up a cheap mirror on a deserted road at a 45 degree angle, supported by something like breakaway balsa wood. It has to be fairly large to get a reasonably wide angle. Shoot from a safe distance off the side of the road, have all the windows closed on the car, and it can look like the car drives full speed into the camera up until it hits the expendable mirror.

Of course, be very careful with all this stuff, lock off the camera and cork in the battery from far away. You don't need to operate, it's too dangerous.

-- J.S.