fuji eterna 500t vs kodak 5219

bobby singh

i wanted to find out if some one could tell me how 5219 compares to fuji eterna 500t

In my opinion 5219 is a film stock made especially for the digital postproduction. Eterna 500T is comparable with 5218 Kodak Vision 2. If You are going through DI, go for 5219. If you are going to make an optical print I would suggest eterna or 5218, if You need 500T.

cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I've seen A and B projections between 5218 and the Eterna. The Fuji was slightly sharper and snappier. Also has a slight tendency to shift a bit into magenta, which looks great on dark skin but not so great on really pale skin. Obviously this can easily be color corrected out, but straight out of the box that's what it looked like.

Don't know how it compares to 5219.

• Premium Member

5219 is slightly more "technical", slicker -- the Eterna 500T has a softer feeling in comparison. I've always felt that the Kodak stocks were more accurate in general in reproducing reality, whereas the Fuji stocks had a slight transformative effect, whether that's a good thing or not. But sometimes I feel that this gives the Fuji stocks are more painterly feeling.

5219 probably has more exposure latitude, more range to be misexposed. Though I found on "Jennifer's Body" that when 5219 is pushed one-stop, reds get more saturated, some sometimes fleshtones get a bit ruddy.

• Premium Member
I've always felt that the Kodak stocks were more accurate in general in reproducing reality, whereas the Fuji stocks had a slight transformative effect, whether that's a good thing or not. But sometimes I feel that this gives the Fuji stocks are more painterly feeling.

We compared Kodak and Fuji for my feature and this was the conclusion as well, which is why we went with Fuji.