The Grudge

When I went to watch it I was reminded of "The Ring". I was wondering about what makes good horror and whilst thinking of this issue I was wondering wether the fear that something could be anywhere is what makes horror films that are most effective. Does anyone have any other observations or comments on this idea?

• Premium Member

Hi,

I saw The Grudge a few hours ago, and it only took me a few minutes to realise that it was going to be Not Very Good. Pathetically transparent attempt to insert Americans into a Japanese story. Almost direct plaigarism of The Ring, particularly in the visual representations of the... whatever the hell it was, and use of distorted video. How many times can you approach a door with a squinty-eyed look of dread before the audience realises there's going to be something unpleasant behind it? And to top it all off, Buffy the Vampire slayer. Sorry, Gellar. You have experienced success in a cult series. Your career is irrevocably stained by it - but what d'you care, you're set up for life!

People laughed at it in the showing I saw. I shall seek out the original, I'm sure it was much better.

Phil

"I was wondering about what makes good horror and whilst thinking of this issue I was wondering whether the fear that something could be anywhere is what makes horror films that are most effective."

warzabidul, "The Shining" for me is an example of the most effective horror film. What makes it so scary? The perversion of the supposedly innocent and trustworthy father figure. That was horrifying.

• Premium Member
"I was wondering about what makes good horror and whilst thinking of this issue I was wondering whether the fear that something could be anywhere is what makes horror films that are most effective."

I've been thinking about that as well.

For me it's the sense of powerlessness against someone more cunning than myself (Hannibal Lector), someone I can't evade (Freddy Krueger), or a seemingly safe circumstance turned on its head (Psycho/Jaws/The Shining).

I think the ultimate horror would be the sense of not being able to help a loved one, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Although there is probably enjoyable horror and unpleasant horror. The horror of seeing your loved ones or your pets killed is not particularly something I want to pay money to go and see...

There are lots of forms of horror and fear. There is the fear of being possesed, like by the devil ("The Exorcist") losing control not only of your body, but possibly your immortal soul (vampire stories also apply). The fear of being tortured physically or being unable to protect yourself (the rat in the cage attached to Winston's face in "1984" stands out.) The fear of being in a room of dead people or ghosts (the creepiness of "The Innocents" where you see a ghost from a distance only, looking like a normal person, but you know that they are dead.) Not all of these fears produce screaming or jumping in the theater -- some just creep you out.

If I may, and please, don't go nuts with this:

I found the new Manchurian Candidate pretty disturbing, more so than pretty much any horror flick I've ever seen. I guess stuff that seems a lot more possible than outlandish (ghosts, etc.) bothers me. . .same deal with Final Destination, and its sequel. Say what you will about the artistic qualities of those movies, but damn, they make you afraid of. . .anything.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I bought "Dark Water" on DVD a few months back. They're very good at creepy in Japan - personally, I ran the full gamut of "Aaaargh", and "Eeek!", and "It's behind you!"

"The Village" managed to have girls screaming during the creature attack sequence even though it had been made clear that the creatures were fake, which I thought was pretty good going.

Phil

• Premium Member

for a great slice of stylish asian horror i cant recomend 'the eye' (or 'Khon hen phi') enough, the pang brothers visuals are breathtaking and the whole film keeps a chill up your spine. does anyone know when 'the eye 2' is going to get released?

Keith

for a great slice of stylish asian horror i cant recomend 'the eye' (or 'Khon hen phi') enough, the pang brothers visuals are breathtaking and the whole film keeps a chill up your spine.

The Eye is certainly creepy. There's a certain part you should watch out for... when the lead actress is riding the subway/train/public transportation, watch the reflections in the windows. Creepy.

And I did not know they were coming out with a sequel. Thanks for the heads up!

My wife and I went to see The Grudge, and she was quite scared by it honestly. Myself, I was a bit dissapointed, but it did have some good visuals. Too much of the "easy shock" factor however for my taste. It was nowhere near as good as Ringu. I think I'll rent the original to see how it compares.

I did notice that Geller actually can act, however. 8)

• Premium Member

I'm just glad I saw the Japanese version of The Grudge (Ju-on). I didn't have to put up with Gellar ... just subtitles.

And I do have to say, while it was reminiscent of The Ring, and hardly any cohesive plot to speak of, it did have its scares. But also, are you comparing it to Ringu (Japanese version) or the American version? From what I have seen the Gellar remake is almost identical to the Japanese version of the movie visually (same director).

One thing I noticed about the Japanese version ... every girl in it is hot (and my friend and I joked that the grandmother was probably hot when she was young too). It was just something we noticed. I don't know how the American version shapes up, but there's always something scary about hot girls being killed. There are so few in the world anyway. LOL

• Premium Member
The fear of being tortured physically or being unable to protect yourself (the rat in the cage attached to Winston's face in "1984" stands out.) 

Absolutley, that movie stayed with me for months. Such a well executed film throughout, from the casting to production design and cinematography. Everything served the story so well. Great acheivement in making the leap from the page to the screen. They created such an omnipresent, oppresive environment. Stripped of all privacy and any delusions of sanity or loyalty. The rat cage...

I didn't like either Grudge. The Japanese original was really really bad, no story at all, no cohesion. The American version with Geller actually cleaned up the story some, but still was not as tight as it should have been. The monster had no real limitation no tangibility. The evil is supposed to feel omnipresent but it can't actually be omnipresent.

The evil in the Grudge could pop up at any time and kill in any way. That can be good for a cheap scare, but its nothing that really sticks with you for long.

The Ring was much better in that the evil was ver specific in how it killed. The Japanese had problems in story. In the middle of the story the father turns out to be clairvoyant and suddenly figures everything out, blah, that doesn't work. It's lazy writing and convenient.

The American version of The Ring had a tighter script. The protagonists had to spend the entire story learning what is going on, there was no sudden moment that everything is figured out. In fact they make a major mistakate at the end which creates the climax.

The cinematogrpahy in the American Ring also added a lot more to the creepiness and forboding atmosphere.

• Premium Member

Hi,

That moment in "The Ring" crept up on me most effectively - "It's OK, she's out now." "What did you do that for?" The kid's delivery was excellent, but I thought it rather confused what the spirit wanted, beyond letting everyone know what had happened - to get out of the well, or to just keep wreaking revenge?

My main problem with "The Grudge" was that it could pop up anywhere. If something's completely unlimited and omniscient, you just think "Well, you can't hide from it; what's the point?"

Phil

• 2 months later...

I liked the Ring, it scared the heck out of me.

I liked The Grudge too. I found it very interesting. I just watched the movie the other night and enjoyed it immensely. I loved how they kept the original Japanese crew. The director did a great job. There wasn't a lot of computer generation. The face of the woman and the child were all makeup. Terrific.

I thought the story was interesting--how they based it off a Japanese legend of a king. It wasn't too scary, but I don't like scary movies, so that is good for me.