Eventual format for mini-DV doc

Jason Mann

I am working on editing a doc I shot with a friend this summer. We have about 50 hours of footage (Panasonic DVX-100A; 24PA) from Mexico and Cali. I'm planning on cutting to somewhere between 50-90 minutes, but as I'm still in the transcription phase, I don't really know what the running time will be.

I think it's gonna be really good. (not patting myself on the back, the subject matter is pretty incredible.)

Anyway, here's the question: What should my friend and I be budgeting for post costs for this thing? I plan to capture the video and edit in Final Cut Pro as true 24p. And we know we want to go to festivals with this thing, and ideally we'd be submitting to some of the big ones.

Should I plan on uprezzing to DigiBeta? Or is a film print required? Are distributors looking for stuff that's on one or the other?

And lastly, I know there must be a huge variance, but what would be a good ballpark estimate of dollars/minute on transferring video to DigiBeta or film?

I know that's a million questions, and sorry if this is the wrong forum for them. Thanks in advance for the answers...

Im thinking about some of those questions myself. I am finishing up a Doc on DVcam. What are you hoping to do with it? Television or theatrical? I don't think there would be much point going to film if your plans were television. But again, im not quite sure as I am asking myself these questions as well.

Jason Arsenault

As far as TV vs. film distribution, I think we'd be happy with either, but I really have no idea which one (if either) is more likely. And I don't know how TV works. Do networks (or PBS) buy films at festivals?

And as you said, that's another reason a film print seems like a bad idea at this point.

But even if we assume it will stay on video, I don't have a sense of what the pros and cons of each format are, and what they will cost to up-rez.

As always, any help would be great...