Super 8 and Hollywoodland?

Daniel Moore

I'm trying to pinpoint the texture of Super 8 film. I was watching Hollywoodland(with Adrien Brody and Ben Affleck). There's a scene where we see P.O.V. through the lens of a camera as we watch the home videos(fake for the movie) of Ben Affleck's character while he's lifting his son around. I think that scene was in color. There's another scene where Ben Affleck is alone in frame goofing around, and then he signals the camera to cut(the P.O.V. camera in the movie). I'm wondering if anyone knows if either or both of those scenes were shot in Super 8(while the rest of the movie was in 35mm)....? I would guess because Super 8 was the standard home video film for that time period, and I'm assuming that was the director's and/or DP's intention for Hollywoodland...

George reeves died in 1959.

Super8 was launched in 1965.

Home movies of Reeves' period would have been regular 8mm or 16mm.

Nor would there have been home video then. Sony's 1/2" B/W portapak also came out in 1965.

Video cassettes in 1973.

Home movies used a projector. The video tape of 1959 was 2" quad.

Nor would there have been home video then. Sony's 1/2" B/W portapak also came out in 1965.

Video cassettes in 1973.

Home movies used a projector. The video tape of 1959 was 2" quad.

I wasn't technically thinking home "videos".....that's just the generic label I gave it. I knew the scene in Hollywoodland must have been shot on film. Although, thanks to both of you for your information, that's interesting.