What's going on at WB?

Guest Glen Alexander

• Premium Member

I continue to "not get" this.

> It seems to go faster if some of the crew are already in the unions

So - sob, weep - if they're already in the union, why are they working on a nonunion production? Don't they take your first-born if you do that?

> They can notify the hall that they are available for work whereas a non-union worker has to hustle another job on

> their own

But hang on, I've been firmly told on many occasions that the union does not act as an employment agency (I've also been told that it doesn't guarantee the competence of its members, which leaves you wondering exactly what it does do, but that's beside the point).

> production shuts down

So people would rather not work at all?

> WE AS UNION MEMBERS ARE BROTHERS/SISTERS AND MUST TAKE CARE OF ONE ANOTHER.

And stamp heavily on the faces of non-members, yes.

Once again I cannot avoid the indelible impression that IATSE is a combination protection racket and exercise in furthering exclusivity supremely dedicated to preventing non-members from making a living.

P

• Premium Member

Hey Phil,

America has wrestled with this class war for over a hundred years or so. Pre-union history is one of grotesque, human abuse. Typically, slaves were treated better than wage slaves in America since slaves were an investment that had to be protected. Employees could be ground-up and thrown away en masse. This statement is often used as a defense of slavery. I am using it only as an attack on pre-union employment practice.

Everything humans do as a group usually deteriorates into some form of corruption and exploitation. Unions do this as well. It is a matter of what's a worse thing instead of what's a better thing. We are slowly creeping back into the wage conditions of pre-union practise. We could easily slip into the same work conditions. As I grew up, I assumed mankind would progress. But, we're not. The middle class is being purposely dismantled and harsh employment circumstances and wages are getting within sight.

Wherever there has been employment protection, i.e. guilds, unions, etc., there forms a strong middle class. Whenever civilizations destroy their middle class, they soon disappear from prominence.

As a guy who wants to make movies with no money, unions are my enemy. As a guy who likes being a member of a successful, American society, unions are my friend.

So - sob, weep - if they're already in the union, why are they working on a nonunion production? Don't they take your first-born if you do that?

> They can notify the hall that they are available for work whereas a non-union worker has to hustle another job on

> their own

But hang on, I've been firmly told on many occasions that the union does not act as an employment agency (I've also been told that it doesn't guarantee the competence of its members, which leaves you wondering exactly what it does do, but that's beside the point).

Many people work non-union shows too and it isn't a problem.

The locals will refer jobs if they have any. But they don't get enough to sustain any person's career, let alone all their members careers. Relatively very few jobs are called into the halls and there are hundreds of members in each local. Non-roster/permits can call in too and if they don't have enough available members to fill the jobs, they will gladly send out permits. It does happen on occasion, but again not enough to sustain someone's career through that.

Edited by Michele Peterson

Hey Phil,

I'm just relating my experiences so far. I'm not in the union yet. Union guys do work non-union jobs all the time. I believe that they are supposed to report what they are working on and that could lead to a production flipping. If the union does try to flip a show the producer might shut it down. It does happen, I've seen it happen twice in the last year. As far as getting work from the hall, I don't know how it's done exactly but people can and do get work by calling in and notifying they are available for work.

The union's usefulness might not be noticeable at first. If you've worked in L.A. on a few months worth of non-union production you will understand. It gets old working for 14 hours before OT yet through the magic of accounting it looks like you got it, grace being called for 45 minutes every single day when they don't need to, skimping on the turn arounds, crap per-diems from 1940, poop dangerous, dirty, sub-standard sound stages and the big one safety. You really got to watch your ass and everyone who works for you on that one.

Hey Phil,

I'm just relating my experiences so far. I'm not in the union yet. Union guys do work non-union jobs all the time. I believe that they are supposed to report what they are working on and that could lead to a production flipping. If the union does try to flip a show the producer might shut it down. It does happen, I've seen it happen twice in the last year. As far as getting work from the hall, I don't know how it's done exactly but people can and do get work by calling in and notifying they are available for work.

The union's usefulness might not be noticeable at first. If you've worked in L.A. on a few months worth of non-union production you will understand. It gets old working for 14 hours before OT yet through the magic of accounting it looks like you got it, grace being called for 45 minutes every single day when they don't need to, skimping on the turn arounds, crap per-diems from 1940, poop dangerous, dirty, sub-standard sound stages and the big one safety. You really got to watch your ass and everyone who works for you on that one.

Well put, Lamar. Depending on the local, some halls are "hiring halls", meaning that when you are out of work, you can call the hall and be put on a list of available workers in your field. Local 80 Grips is such a hall. Then when a producer needs a grip, dolly grip, etc. he calls the hall and someone is sent out.

I worked non-union for a few years starting out and I can tell you that the conditions were really bad. 14, 16, and more hour days with no overtime, non existent or crappy meals, etc. but you needed the work so you did it. When I got in the union (some 20 years ago) my income doubled and I actually had time for a life. I did a non union a couple of years ago as a key grip as a favor for a producer friend of mine and my grips were all USC students and I had forgotten how brutal non union shows can be. Yes, unions like everything else can go to excess, but I shudder to think how the business would be without them. I would have been doing something else long ago. As much as I love what I do, I still have a family and like to see them.

Edited by Darryl Richard Humber