Everything you always wanted to know about printing but were afraid to ask

Simon Wyss

• Premium Member
With wet gate, the lab can do good answer prints to time out or in many things but with optical printing how much leeway is there?

Hoping I understood you well: Optical copying bears the crux of increasing contrast (Callier effect) but today this poses no more problems. Eastman 5272/7272 produces pretty soft internegatives. In Black and white we can go as low as gamma 0.3 today in order to counterbalance contrast build-up.

The rest is same as with contact work, dry or wet.

Guest Glen Alexander
Hoping I understood you well: Optical copying bears the crux of increasing contrast (Callier effect) but today this poses no more problems. Eastman 5272/7272 produces pretty soft internegatives. In Black and white we can go as low as gamma 0.3 today in order to counterbalance contrast build-up.

The rest is same as with contact work, dry or wet.

Stock I'm using will be 5302, the report with lights from the dev lab looked pretty good. Any major differences with the gamma for this stock?

I was going to go with a 5-perf 70mm print but the cost was fcuking outrageous. So I'm going wet gate and maybe a tape out for festivals.

I'm not going IP route

My workflow cut negative -> (wet gate) fully timed release print with mag sound, full, big beautiful VV frames.

Edited by Glen Alexander

• Premium Member

We have a Debrie Matipo 35 from the early 1920s with the WRR light control incorporated. We don't have a step printer with 8-perf pull and VV aperture. But again, our facility is closed. I am planning to move to America to start a new old lab there.