500T super 8mm to reverse film

Jorge Rondao

Hello, did you know any laboratory that made the transition from negative 500T super 8mm to Reverse film? or is only to telecine?

Regards

I don't remember any lab for this , but 500T is intended for telecine ,if you look for projecting use Ektachrome.

Edited by Rolando Fernandez

Hello, did you know any laboratory that made the transition from negative 500T super 8mm to Reverse film? or is only to telecine?

Regards

PAC Lab in NYC did this for me about two years ago. They converted a roll of 200T to a positive print. The results were less than stellar...the footage was overexposed and colors were from Mars. Not sure if it was their process that did it or the way I shot the footage.

Would you want a blowup to 16- or 35mm or a S8 print?

16- and 35mm blowups are definitely doable. IDK if Vision Print stock is still made in S8mm.

Negative film is *not* designed only for telecine, even in S8. It is the same as 16- or 35mm Vision2 500T. So it can be printed just as the larger-format stocks can be.

Super 8 negative film can't be "reversed" the way B/W negative can, but I think the question is, can a positive print be made? and the answer is yes, but few labs do it.

Two that do-- correct me if I'm wrong-- are Frank Bruinsma in Holland and Wittner in Germany. They will make copies of super 8 negatives.

Of course it is possible to cross process colour negative film in reversal chemistry (as per Art Leal's experience above using Pac Lab). I have done it a few times myself. Not commercially though. I found it necessary to down rate the film by 2 stops and then push process by two stops. This yielded a positive image with golden tones, fairly low in contrast, and quite nice ... but certainly not a normal reversal image.

• 2 weeks later...