DVX 100A basic Q setup

Joe Black

Hi,

I just got my DVX 100A!!! I shot surfing footage with it Sat and Sun . The footage looks awesome to my eye. But I know it could be better. I only used the F5 setting with adjustments by ATW, manual IRIS, and shutter speed. And I know there's much more to it.

I have a general idea of what settings to use when shooting(shutter speed, iris...), but nothing set in stone for that perfect setup.

My background is editing and 3D animation. Aside from all my photography classes in college,

was wondering if there was any published literature (aside from the manual that came in the box) of recommended system settings & different types of setups in different lighting conditions? Or a general guide regarding setup in the DVX 100A. i.e. recommended settings for outside, indoor lit, low lit, etc...

Can't seem to find too much on it.

I guess I don't understand the question. Is basically what you're asking is for someone to tell you how to use your camera?

"Perfect setup" is normally achieved in post anyway.

FYI, in your manual there is a section on the three levels of gain you can setup and all, so it's not like panny has left us in the dark (no pun intended) as far as low light is concerned.

I guess I don't understand the question. Is basically what you're asking is for someone to tell you how to use your camera?

"Perfect setup" is normally achieved in post anyway.

FYI, in your manual there is a section on the three levels of gain you can setup and all, so it's not like panny has left us in the dark (no pun intended) as far as low light is concerned.

I found what I'm looking for. Barry Green made a DVD which shipped a couple weeks ago and included his 100page manual specificially for the DVX 100 cams.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/

Everyone who's ordered seems pretty happy with it. I just ordered it. I'll post a follow-up later.

Edited by Joe Black

Ive been exactly where you are with that camera, although mine in the dinosauric 100p. I have very found that this camera is very versitile and being someone who hates the idea of fixing it in post I have settled in on some scene file dogma.

First off, the camera is factory set to have 4 (f1-f4) settings for 60i. Chuck'em set all but one to 24p and then play away. I like to set my m ped (master pedestal) to -8 or so. This crushes the blacks and pump the chroma up to +something. Its always easier to desaturate later. I pull the detail down a little if Im shooting multicam b/c its just to news like (video like). Otherwise I use a ultracon filter to negotiate lattitude when it a single cam.

I failed to mention I hate the factory settings, I bought my camera and shot my first feature with it then had a secong unit DP come in and he tweeked it a little (see above) and I was ashamed of much of the work I had in the can. Play with it see what you like but if I can offer one more piece of advice: Slate the camera settings you use so you can compare the images after they have ben shot. It helps to better understand what each setting does.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, got the book.

Well worth the money. Goes into detail of what every single menu function/button does and what will happen when you tweak them to a certain way. I think anyone can benefit from this book.

The DVD is alright.. goes over some basic stuff, mainly good for showing actual examples side by side. But the knowledge is definitely in the reading.