why isn't there a large format forum?

Guest Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Umm, do you want your own forum?

Who else shoots anything bigger than 35mm 4-perf. but you?

:lol:

well, you can print 70mm or Todd-AO. i'm sure some people around shoot IMAX? or 5-perf widescreen.

Guest Glen Alexander

actually i had an idea to get a 16mm camera, pull it apart and put on a Nikon F-mount and turn it horizontal into a mini-VV. double or triple the size of a 16mm frame and test shoot with some color reversal film.

main advantage to 35mm 2/3-perf, is use standard photographic lenses, no anamorphic distortions, old 16mm cameras are dirt cheap, and from i've seen projecting film horizontally gets rid of alot of projection smearing artifacts.

i haven't figured out the post-processing...... YET...

Guest Glen Alexander
You'll end up with some flavor of 35mm resolution but with all the hassle

hassle is a subjective term.

without all of the cost and better optics, ergo better images at a much lower price. cheap high-speed 16mm cameras can pull 400fps or 200fps converted to horizontal format at a price that is at least 1/10th of a 35mm equivalent without expensive anamorphics or highlyl specialized registration for 35mm/2perf/3perf

show me the cost of a 2-perf 35mm camera that can shoot 200fps?

Edited by Glen Alexander

Sure I get it, I love playing with cameras - and the history of cinema would be a dull place without people giving a idea otherwise not thought worthwhile a crack and coming up with absolute gold...

That being said, although I am yet to find an example, do you really think that no one hasn't tried and no-doubt succeeded with this idea already ?

... then again ask yourself why exactly it is that working examples are so hard to find ...

Please do it, I'd love to see the results - no sarcasm, no bad intentions at all - but also if you please I'd like to see the cost of a 16mm horizontal format camera and post workflow - in non-subjective terms (time, $$$) ...

For a head start have a search in these these very forums for threads discussing the concept already.

• Premium Member
no anamorphic distortions

Most people that choose anamorphic do so because they like those artifacts. They're charming and quite beautiful.

The idea is interesting, though. I wonder if you'd need the steadiness of 2 perf for such a comparatively long pulldown (pullover?) on 16mm.

Guest Glen Alexander
Most people that choose anamorphic do so because they like those artifacts. They're charming and quite beautiful.

The idea is interesting, though. I wonder if you'd need the steadiness of 2 perf for such a comparatively long pulldown (pullover?) on 16mm.

well if you like those distorted optical properties, go for it, i'd rather use a larger negative and better grain than optical compression. i shot some images of the sun peaking above the mountains and got some magnificent artefacts with no DOF non-linear weirdness.

i'm thinking just run the camera at 2x normal speed or speed wanted for effects and just adjust the shutter, if there is one. if there's no shutter, then i need to think about it.

i'm thinking just run the camera at 2x normal speed or speed wanted for effects and just adjust the shutter, if there is one. if there's no shutter, then i need to think about it.

Which camera would you modify or is this a build from scratch ? what about the pull down ?

What ratio would you like to end up with ?

:lol:

well, you can print 70mm or Todd-AO. i'm sure some people around shoot IMAX? or 5-perf widescreen.

hi i do 15perf but from my point of view if the format is big, the industry is small

- 2 labs in the world (CFI and Arane)

- maybe 20 cameras worldwide

and let's say 30 techniciens from camera assistants to director of photography

and on the forum may 5 people who worked with the format.

this format is more extreme tne main stream so i'm not sure it deserve a specific forum

the 5perf, 8perf and 10perf are even less used.

let's say it's verry hard to make money with large format and there are more storys of bankcrup than sucess

I think having a forum dedicated to large-format appreciation is an excellent idea. With digital technology quickly catching up with 35mm, RED's announcement of large format sensors for their EPIC line, and the makers of Dark Knight shooting a significant portion of that film in 15-Perf Imax, there could be a renaissance of sorts.

Guest Glen Alexander

Far and away shot VV/65mm

Spiderman3 shot some VV,

Ironman shot some 65mm

Transformers 2 is shooting lots of 65mm

Guest Glen Alexander
Which camera would you modify or is this a build from scratch ? what about the pull down ?

What ratio would you like to end up with ?

i'd start with a photosonics 16mm camera, used ones on ebay are cheap.

probably shoot full aperture 10.4 x 15mm, and decide after the work print or DI which ratio. i'd tend to keep the full aperture in case there are some instabilities in the registration.

• Premium Member

There used to be a large format forum here some years ago, but hardly anyone posted there. Even films that shoot their VFX shots on 65mm still mostly use 35mm. Of course I'd hope that one day we'd need such a forum because large formats get used more.