Lighting question

I am shooting a 5 min short for my film 2 class and need some help. Im shooting in a room on tungsten film that has two windows. Will I have to use an 85 filter or can I pump a 2k through the windows? If I did nothing, how would the film color turn out? I am looking for a dreary, cold looking interior to the room. Thanks

I am shooting a 5 min short for my film 2 class and need some help. Im shooting in a room on tungsten film that has two windows. Will I have to use an 85 filter or can I pump a 2k through the windows? If I did nothing, how would the film color turn out? I am looking for a dreary, cold looking interior to the room. Thanks

Pumping a 2K through the windows wont do much at all because after all you are trying to compete with the SUN! But then again it depends of the time of day and where the sun is directing.

If you did nothing and used tungsten balanced setting (im guessing your shooting digital) then all the daylight coming through the window will be blue. Since you are looking for a cold looking and dreary look it might be better to use the filter which only converts half of what an 85 does (I cant remember the name), as this will give a cold blue look but not as pronounced. Also some underexposure in the image (but not too much) will keep it looking dreary.

• Premium Member

81EF will do the 1/2 correction of D to T that's an on camer filter though and would also warm up your T units. What I'd recommend is using 1/2CTO or 3/4CTO on the windows. It'll also 1/2 or 3/4 correct to tungsten and leave just a hint of "daylight" coming though (not exactly the same color as your tungsten units; much as the eye sees IMHO.

For sad/dreary just control your color pallete, lots of grays etc. I'd go 1/2 CTO on the windows and 1/2CTB on your T units, give it a bit of a clue hue. I'd complement that with a few hits of normal T to ive some color separation, perhaps as a backlight etc.