Shooting in the cold

• Premium Member
I have also heard people say that LCDs (monitors, on-board monitors, certain viewfinders, dial displays) can freeze in sub-zero temperatures and not work. I personally haven't seen this happen, has anybody else?

Yeah, I froze an HVX LCD when I was in school in Rochester, NY. It was somewhere in the realm of -20 F. The color and gamma went all wonky and it got very, very dim and the pixel response time went way up. I had to quit using it. I was worried since I didn't own it but it came right back when it warmed back up.

The interesting bit about the whole thing was that the LCD in the viewfinder wasn't noticeably affected by the cold.

Edited by Chris Keth

Hi , First post here. All I have to add after reading these posts and remembering all the miserable nights in freezing temps here in NY( the kind of nights they bring the homeless in) is having have good batteries is half the battle . I know the last time we had dolly pac batteries from CSC with our package and not a problem at all.

Good idea for putting gear inside plastic bags to help acclimate just add a towel in bottom to help collect 'sweat"

As far as outer wear -NEOS over boots are the best 80 buck's I've spent for my feet. I can work outside in sneakers and smart wool socks and my Neos and my feet never get cold. I bought a

Northern outfitters expedition parka and that was and still the best winter jacket I've ever owned.

Rob

Putting equipment & lenses, as well as anything with electronics (which can short out from condensation) in sealed plastic bags, BEFORE you bring them in, is the best way to bring gear to room temperature. And you can speed it up the process quite a bit with a hair dryer over the outside of the bag. But if you don't have to speed up the process, and you can let the gear sit overnight, just keep the cases closed until the next day.

Some metals expand and contract at differents rates too - I've had Aaton motor bushings seize-up at minus 25˚C in Labrador.... Arri SRs definitely handle the cold better. Hand warmers in barneys can help too. And batteries with hand warmers in syrofoam coolers.

There is no doubt that, as an AC, there are some jobs that just have to be done with bare hands. The thin neoprene gloves are great when you can get away with it. But in addition, a good pair of puffy warm mittens attached to a string around your neck (like when you were a kid) is the best thing to plunge your hands into when you're standing around. Boots with felt liners are good too - and if you have an extra pair of liners you can switch to a dry pair half way through the day.

When any of you guys have to come to South Florida to shoot, I'll help you deal with the heat.

Of course, if you're shooting near South Beach, the hardest part is keeping your eye on the viewfinder and not the topless girls on the beach.