cooke s4/s4i

matt marek

have yet to hear back from the cooke dealer in NJ, and am just wondering what difference there is between the s4 and s4i other than the intelligence.

am looking to purchase a set of primes and am wondering if it's worth the money for the s4i or if i should search for s4's...or maybe they're impossible to find??

thanks for any help guys

matt

Guest Stephen Murphy

Hi Matt,

Optically there is no difference between the S4 and S4i lenses. The only appreciable difference is that the S4i lenses dont allow you the full use of the camera eyepiece on an SR3 so bear that in mind when deciding. Personaly Ive never seen the Intelligence interface used on any of the features/commercials ive been on unless it was for a visual effects unit, so id rather have the flexibility of mounting them on an sr3 and having a fully rotational eyepiece.

S

Guest Stephen Murphy
Stephen, is that just the S4i, or the S4 as well with the impacted viewing on the SR3?

The S4's are fine.

The S4is have a larger body where the iris ring is which means the SR3 eyepiece has to sit at a 45 degree angle from level, which makes operating very uncomfortable, and in some cases (handheld) impossible. Also the clearence between the eyepiece and the lens is so minimal that by rotating the eyepiece you can sometimes alter the T-stop.

One of the selling points of the 416 is that it uses a higher profile eyepiece allowing clearance on all the Cooke S4 and Master Prime lenses.

• Premium Member
thanks for the replies guys.

side note...i've also been researching ultra primes and arri canada seems to be quite bad at email replies. any leads on where to purchase used if possible?

thanks

Finding a complete used set of either the S4 or Ultra Prime will be next to impossible. Used Ultras occasionally turn up as individual pieces, but typically go for somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 grand or more per lens.

• Premium Member
any leads on where to purchase used if possible?

thanks

I spoke to Visual Products about 8 months ago and they didn't have one full set of primes. The Red market sucked up all the full sets. I asked him to give me a call if any full sets of Ultra Primes, Super Speeds, S4's, or Master Primes came on his radar and I haven't heard a peep. I basically gave up on the idea of buying a used set now. And when I looked into buying a new set the exchange rate was so bad that the prices had gone up so much that buying them didn't make sense. It's a lot better now I'm sure.

Give Visual Products a ring, but don't hold your breath.

• Premium Member
side note...i've also been researching ultra primes and arri canada seems to be quite bad at email replies. any leads on where to purchase used if possible?

Talk to Arri in Munich or London, that's where they have sales offices.

thanks for the replies guys.

looks like mid 09 til delivery of a cooke set or i could go with ultra primes, save a bit and get them now.

quite the conundrum. the local rental house cant keep the super speeds on the shelf, and next in line is the cookes. am wondering if i've got an uphill battle ahead of me to keep the ultras (if i choose to get them) rented out.

any ultra prime owners out there care to give some testimonials? (positive or negative)

thanks