D.I.Y videotap for canon 1014 XL-S

Neil Stubbings

I recently got a complete canon 1014 XL-S kit for really cheap from a swiss auction site.

I now want to build a videotap unit for the camera, and thought about using one of the cheap "spycams" which you can order from various sites of the internets.

I saw a site where someone used a "cigarcam", which I dont think is available anymore.

Has anyone completed a project like this or do you think this could work?

• Premium Member

Hi Neil,

I made one for a 1014xls... needed to get the camera in some tight spots for the "go mobile" (new camera car) featurette on the Bourne Supremacy DVD (see shots from taken from car floor). I forget what brand of spy camera it was. I can check. It was a black square cam that had interchangeable lenses that I mounted to the eyepiece (with velcro!!). With a bit of trial and error with the lenses I was able to find one that matched the Canon's ground glass perfectly.

I also rigged it for steady cam work with the video tapped image going to an LCD mounted on a glidecam 2000. In the end I didn't use the steady cam config very much because I didn't go as far as creating a way to pull focus remotely. If you have more money than time I would consider selling the setup... It works great.

Best,

Paul

Dug up these two posts from filmshooting.com in regards to your question..

------------------------

http://www.qvcvideo.com/main/products/? ... 5&bcat=102

I think this is the model to get with the 12mm lens. I just bought a variety of lenses so they could be used with different super 8/ 16mm cameras.. lenses are cheap...so buy a few.

This is what the REP told me in an email:

our 520 kit will work great for that.

you can choose the 2 lenses that you want for that kit.

we have a 5in color monitor for 69.99, and rech battery pack for 29.99.

wireless av is 104.99 foir 2.4ghz, and $89.99 for 1.2ghz

let me know

-----------------

Hey,

My latest film, TROYMOTION is soon to be released... Shot on plus-x s8 cross processed as a neg. Camera- beaulieu 4008zmII.

Here's a clip from the video tap that I temporarily rigged together using a QVCvideo.com video camera with my scanport sp500 digital video recorder box (has a 2.5" lcd screen and video IN recording to DIVX for immediate playback).

Not quite perfected, but did the trick to make framing easier for fast paced running/handheld work.

http://www.framediscreet.com/video/troymotion_vidtap.AVI

---------------

you need a low lux ccd camera, very low lux, then you have to find a way to attach it to the view finder, once you do that it still might not get you the proper framing, you best bet is to use a video camera and frame it the same, I did see an external video tap made for that cheap portable ultra light 16mm camera, I dont know the name but there taking orders for there new super 8mm camera, you might be able to use that? pro8mm.com is selling that 16mm camera im talking about, find the name and go to there home page and you will see the tap but I wouldent waste my money and time on it!