Sony EX-3 Shooting 2:35:1 Anamorphic

john frost

Hello all,

I just published this topic, but I think I did it on the wrong thread. I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Sorry about that. Anyways...

I have a few questions about shooting on the Sony EX-3

I'm doing a short film and I was wondering if it is possible to get the Pro35 and adapt anamorphic lenses onto the camera.

If I did such a thing, would I be shooting 2:35:1 just because of the lenses? Or, would I have to frame for anamorphic using the lenses and then crop or matte in post?

Thank you for your time,

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Anamorphic lenses are designed for 4x3 shaped image sensors (ie. Silent frame 35mm/ Super35).

If you put them on your camera they would wind up giving you an ultra-wide aspect ratio which would be very odd.

They would also be a pain in the arse with regards to composition, focusing etc etc... not to mention the cost of decent anamorphics.

The usual procedure with the Sony HD cameras is just to mask off the top and bottom of the frame, matte it to a 2.35:1. This isn't an elegant solution, I know, but I have seen theatrically projected films this way that look fine. However, they're from a higher end sony and I can't say what would happen to the eX3 footage.

Are you planning on doing a film-out or transfer to festivals? If it is just low-end cinemas or television, matting should be fine and will save you money... which could be spent on other things to make the image even better.

Hope this helps.

Anamorphic lenses are designed for 4x3 shaped image sensors (ie. Silent frame 35mm/ Super35).

If you put them on your camera they would wind up giving you an ultra-wide aspect ratio which would be very odd.

Anamorphic lenses come in several squeeze factors, including 2:1, 1.75:1, 1.55:1 and 1.33:1.

Thus 2:1 is used for 4x3 to achieve 2.40:1 and 1.75x would be the right choice for a 16x9 sensor camera to get close to 2.40:1 after it has been unsqueezed.

• Premium Member
Anamorphic lenses come in several squeeze factors, including 2:1, 1.75:1, 1.55:1 and 1.33:1.

Thus 2:1 is used for 4x3 to achieve 2.40:1 and 1.75x would be the right choice for a 16x9 sensor camera to get close to 2.40:1 after it has been unsqueezed.

The vast majority of anamorphic cine lenses have a 2X squeeze factor. The 1.33X Hawk anamorphics are pretty rare.

I haven't seen any 1.75X or 1.55X anamorphic lenses except for cases where people have adapted ISCO projection anamorphics.

Technically, a 1.34X squeeze would fit a 2.39 image onto a 16x9 (1.78 : 1) sensor. A 1.75X anamorphic lens on a 16x9 sensor would get you a 3.11 : 1 image.

Of course, historically, besides the 2X CinemaScope squeeze, we had the 1.5X squeeze for Technirama and the 1.25X squeeze for Ultra Panavision / MGM Camera 65.

Right. Sorry about the 1.75:1 conversion error. I doubted it was the right squeeze factor as I typed it, should have double checked, or done the math. :o

There are some front-of-lens Panasonic 1.34x anamorphic adapters that would give one the right conversion if used with 1.78:1 aperture/ imager. I am not sure how good the footage would look using such adapter though. I know some of the Isco and Kowa projection cum acquisition 2x adapters can look pretty good if properly mounted on a lens, but these are non-standard techniques, so . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar

I did forget to mention the "soft-anamorph" lenses, which are designed for RED ONE, Genesis etc etc...

I have personally never seen one, but they must be about somewhere.

I would have thought given the overall high quality of the EX1/EX3 a screw-on/bolt-on anamorphic lens could do quite well. However, the cost could be prohibitive (which is more than likely I guess?)