Canon HV40?

Matthew Buick

Surely there should be an announcement about now for the replacemane for the HV30, does anyone have an idea what we can expect? Or is HDV dead in the consumer market? If so, what would the most suitable AVCHD camcorder be? Anythng for any other manufacturers? I rather like the sound of the Panasonic SD100, a real focus ring!

Sorry to be spilling my guts. I'm just a little twitchy.

Edited by Matthew Buick

• 3 weeks later...
Surely there should be an announcement about now for the replacemane for the HV30, does anyone have an idea what we can expect? Or is HDV dead in the consumer market? If so, what would the most suitable AVCHD camcorder be? Anythng for any other manufacturers? I rather like the sound of the Panasonic SD100, a real focus ring!

Sorry to be spilling my guts. I'm just a little twitchy.

Matthew,

Before you move to AVCHD you may want to investigate compatibility with your editing system. For example, FCP does not have AVCHD native support.

Dan Durbin

Thanks Hal and Emanuel! I heard a rumour that it can do 8.56 Megapixel stills. Also, the lens is presumably larger for shallower DoF, and the BLC button has been changed for one that allows multiple use of the focus dial, no bloody ring though. :(

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member
Hopefully AVCHD has improved suitably over the past year to rival HDV.

Nope. Real not easy to edit with and results are not as good as some say. You can edit AVCHD in FCP, just make sure you have the absolute fastest mac or you will not even be able to preview. Oh and you better have massive amounts of disk space. Converting AVCHD to prorez is like 5:1 space needed.

That one and this offering from Panny seem to the best bet for the professional user. Hopefully AVCHD has improved suitably over the past year to rival HDV. I just feel so irritated at Canon now that I may just jump ship and buy the Panny. At least it has a viewfinder!

For the viewfinder, you can handle with it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/990198-post41.html

Courtesy by Chris Hurd from dvinfo.net.

Plus, I wouldn't expect so much from Panasonic after the lowrez 960x540 fiasco of three years ago (HVX).

Here's the camcorderinfo.com input on subject:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panas...eview-36059.htm

Unfortunately, the only 'no-brainer' I've checked it out is the D5 Mark II or perhaps one of the new Canon's (HF S10/100). It's 1/2.6" against 1/4.1" sensor size and 24Mbps vs. 17Mbps and the HDC-HS300 is «the top-of-the-line high definition camcorder from Panasonic coming for 2009». Consumer side, of course. And beyond that?