flourcent effect

hello

I'm working on a short project that envolves a lot of blue screen shootings, for one shot i need to creat a lighting effect that will look as if a man is walking in a narrow hallway with flourcent lights from above i allready shot the background on location and it had about 30 flourcents that are 1 meter away from another.

since i can't set a chroma studio with 30 flourcents, the actor will walk on a walker (like in a jim) and i will build a rig with 2 or 4 kinoflows that will circle around above him and creat a similar effect, we had a few ideals for this rig but so far none of them looks good enough, has anyone ever done this before and has a good way to rig it?

the shot is a medium shot of a man walking.

thanks a head

mosh

Well i think a simple solution might be to rig one long four kino above and move a flag across it front to back repeatedly from the side. Either one guy from one side or a guy on each side alternating, depending on how wide your shot is and how close the lights are and the speed he's walking. It should simulate the effect without having to build a rig to move the lights.

Well i think a simple solution might be to rig one long four kino above and move a flag across it front to back repeatedly from the side. Either one guy from one side or a guy on each side alternating, depending on how wide your shot is and how close the lights are and the speed he's walking. It should simulate the effect without having to build a rig to move the lights.

i think it wouldn't give me the exact effect because if you walk down a flourcented hall sometimes the light will be infront of you and sometime it will backlight you, if i only use 1 kino i will have to choose frontal or backlight, maybe i can use 2 long kino or an image 8 and than i will have both back and front light,

thanks for the help

mosh

• Premium Member

Typical overhead fluorescent is two to four bulbs... so I'd probably try mounting a 4' 4-bank Kino on the end of a menace arm and swing it over the person, maybe another one on the opposite side also swinging over the person, alternating the two booms so one has time to turn off and get back to the original position.

It may be easier to use tungsten units with a Chimera bank instead so one can run them on a dimmer for turning them off and on.

Now if the fluorescents in theory are closer together and you don't want a dramatic light-dark interval, you could try flying a 12'x12' diffusion frame over the person and then swinging two alternating tungsten lamps pointed downwards on opposing menace arms over that, for a softer effect of the lights passing overhead. Or rig a row of tungsten lamps pointed down and out them on a chase sequence on a dimmer board.

Today i have tested two different ways for this shot, the first was david's way in which the light effect worked well but because of the opprating it locked too slow, i mean that it took sometime between each light, the other way i tried was to have two fix 4' 4 bank kino flo's one was on top infront of the actor and the other was on top but from behind, than we took a ceiling's fan engine riged it and attached two 24X36 diffussion frames to it, than we swiched it on and the frames moved instead of the lights, this gave me the right speed but not the exact light affect, now i have to choose what to do...

another difficult shot i have for the same project is a 360 deg dolly shot, around a man sitting near a table with a computer, the background needs to be chroma blue and because i don't have a 360 blue studio i will have put the person and the table on a revolving stage and have a fix frame with him revolving, now comes the question of how to light this? the only idea i have so far is a practical light which will be on the table, but i will also need fill light somehow, any ideas?

thanks

mosh

I did something similar years back and this was my set up:

2 sky-hi stands on either side of the talent with goal posts and 5 feet grid pipes (this whole thing can be done with plain C-stands reached to the top and arms over 90 degrees...but I prefer sky-his and pipes)...then hang two soft banks and have an operator on each stand and get them to operate the lamps like this: lamp "A" is ON in position 1 in front of the talent, lamp "B" is OFF in position 2 behind the talent, your "A" operator then swings the lamp over your talents head to position 2 behind the talent and turns it OFF as your operator "B" swings his lamp over your talents head to his front and turns it ON...so as you see these lamps cross each other in mid air over your talents head and that's why they have to be set on different heights....now if you have talented lamp operators, you can try dimming down as opposed to turning off...

As for your second set up (revolving desk) you need tell us a bit more about what is going to be replacing the blue screen , as that's what you ultimately want to replicate...