case study for college

maria moynihan

hi

my name is maria moynihan i go to st johns college in cork Ireland studying film and tv production and im just looking for a D.O.P to interview on line for a college case study just basically why u became a D.O.P what training you did etc. if some one volunteers ill send a list of questions that you would answer and you would send it back to me.

ok look forward to hearing from you :P

Guest Stephen Murphy
hi

my name is maria moynihan i go to st johns college in cork Ireland studying film and tv production and im just looking for a D.O.P to interview on line for a college case study just basically why u became a D.O.P what training you did etc. if some one volunteers ill send a list of questions that you would answer and you would send it back to me.

ok look forward to hearing from you :P

Hi maria - if you send me the questions id be happy to help. mailATstephen-murphy.com

• Premium Member

Maria; in my role as resident grammar nazi:

Learn to punctuate while you're still at school. Eventually, you will; it's just easier if you do it now. Easier in that fewer people will have seen you write the way you just did, and the fewer people see that, the fewer people will think you are an idiot.

P

Phil, it's a losing battle--but I think you could have worded your suggestion a little differently.

Not only has proper grammar and spelling almost become a thing of the past, but this is simply how all of the "youngsters" write these days. (Thank God my boys don't.)

Maria, here's the deal:

It takes no more effort to type "you" than "u." (Well, technically it does, but is anyone THAT lazy?) Also, periods, commas, dashes and paragraph breaks are wonderful things--and they're totally FREE! They're your FRIENDS, so take advantage of them, which is what friends are for.

Finally, I don't think that sort of writing necessarily says you're an idiot, because many people will assume you know the correct way to write. (But then again, many won't.) Instead, it shows something worse:

It shows that you don't care enough about what you're writing to put the proper effort into it, and it shows you don't care if it's difficult for the reader to read, which is inconsiderate.

That stuff is fine for instant messaging with your friends, but it's a really bad habit to get into.

Edited by Ira Ratner

Phil, it's a losing battle--but I think you could have worded your suggestion a little differently.

Not only has proper grammar and spelling almost become a thing of the past, but this is simply how all of the "youngsters" write these days. (Thank God my boys don't.)

Maria, here's the deal:

It takes no more effort to type "you" than "u." (Well, technically it does, but is anyone THAT lazy?) Also, periods, commas, dashes and paragraph breaks are wonderful things--and they're totally FREE! They're your FRIENDS, so take advantage of them, which is what friends are for.

Finally, I don't think that sort of writing necessarily says you're an idiot, because many people will assume you know the correct way to write. (But then again, many won't.) Instead, it shows something worse:

It shows that you don't care enough about what you're writing to put the proper effort into it, and it shows you don't care if it's difficult for the reader to read, which is inconsiderate.

That stuff is fine for instant messaging with your friends, but it's a really bad habit to get into.

In the defence of some of the "youngsters" I know, please don't lump them all into the category of illiterate, inconsiderate, text-message-typing punctuators. I know at least three or four people in the same group that properly capitalize and punctuate even their text messages.

In the defence of some of the "youngsters" I know, please don't lump them all into the category of illiterate, inconsiderate, text-message-typing punctuators. I know at least three or four people in the same group that properly capitalize and punctuate even their text messages.

Point well taken. It's not mainly an age thing when it comes to posting.

But I do beg to differ that grammar and spelling hasn't gone drastically downhill in the last 40 years, your 3 or 4 friends not withstanding.

Heck, you should see some of the notes I get from my kids' TEACHERS!

Calling someone an idiot isn't impolite?

In italics, no less?

But he didn't call her an idiot, he pointed out (and I think quite correctly) that other people will *think* of her as an idiot. This is one of the wonderful subtleties possible with proper punctuation and nuanced script usage.

BTW, I hope my occasional use of the double stars for indicating italicization or the use of text-messaging-derived abbreviations such as "BTW" doesn't constitute me as an idiot in the eyes of others, nor my use of emoticons :huh:

Edited by Karl Borowski

have you guys nothing better to do with your time than comment on my grammar!!????

BTW i have Dyslexia which is beside the point because when needs be i correct my grammar

for assignments for college etc but when im online and just writing in a forum i don't bother

maria

...but when im online and just writing in a forum i don't bother

That is the point, Maria.

When communicating with professionals, and more specifically, asking them for their time, you will likely have more success if your request is respectful. Intentionally improper punctuation and grammar illustrates that you are not.

But he didn't call her an idiot, he pointed out (and I think quite correctly) that other people will *think* of her as an idiot.

Ahhhh--but of course he did:

He simply used the third person as a way to appear not to.

Come on--if it walks like a duck and talks like duck, it's a duck. There are nice ways to say something and mean, nasty, bitter ways. I'll leave it to the judges to decide which category that post falls under.

You know, we all go off the deep end now and then, we get angry and say things we regret. (But I'm sure you'll claim you never posted anything you regret.)

But in the posts we all do, when you take the sum of them (the attitude, not the technical content), they add up to a pretty good profile of what kind of person that is.

Calling someone an idiot on their very first post reveals a hell of a lot.

Ira,

Phil did not call her "an idiot". He suggested how Maria might prevent herself from being perceived as such in the future. It was good, succinct advice.

> But in the posts we all do, when you take the sum of them (the attitude, not the technical content),

> they add up to a pretty good profile of what kind of person that is.

> Calling someone an idiot on their very first post reveals a hell of a lot.

Since this isn't a forum for publicly psychoanalyzing contributors, I don't think Phil has anything to worry about.