Keeping Track of your Money

I am a Freelancer; and the one thing I know to be true is that no one is going to look out for you and your money. This being said, I have found the system I came up with to be extremely useful for my finances.

Once you get into the routine or using the spreadsheet, it feels great keeping track of everything, and knowing that you are getting paid for your work.

Below are links to the PDF and an XLS of the system I use...feel free to modify it to suit your needs. Mine has evolved quite a bit, and I love the flexibility of the spreadsheet.

I have mine uploaded to google docs, so I can change the information anywhere that I have access to a computer.

Let me know what you think. I am also interested in hearing what you guys do to keep track of your money and finances and also, any changes you have made to my forms.

The information in the spreadsheet is entirely fake.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Jamie Metzger

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjB...t=pdf&gid=0 - PDF

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjB...amp;single=true - XLS (For Download and customization)

One thing I find useful in my spreadsheet is a graph of all the invoices I have showing the net-job profit. Gives me a quick visual idea of how much I'm making. Thanks for these Jamie. I too can't stress the importance of spread-sheet skills

I used to do that as well, but I found this to work better for me. Considering I've been doing this style for a year, I just made a 2009 sheet and I am thinking about making a graph that compares the years totals against eachother.

I was thinking about doing that for the months, but then I don't want to be "that" guy saying "november was a bad month for me", hahaha.

Can you show me what yours looks like? ( no homo :lol: )

• Premium Member

Sure thing. I can give you one. I run on Excel 08 Mac though; so if you have that I'd be happy to e mail it out to you. Drop me a line

adrian at adriansierkowski.com

I like my graph ;) It just lets me see it on a job by job basis, and as I do my invoices as numbermonthdayyear (e.g 32121508 would be job #32 on this sheet from date 12/15/08) it's nice to see a graph and say, hmm...

(p.s. I am much more embarrassed by my "total for yr" which I think it still negative!)

Oh, I get you.

I recently added the "Invoice #" Column to the Spreadsheet, since I now reference the jobs by invoice # on my invoice and on the spreadsheet. Just one more way to keep track of things.

I also "charge" 1.5% interest on anything over 30 days, unless the client specifies something different. I've never had to charge, i usually keep an eye on the date I sent out the invoice and send a reminder a week out.

• Premium Member

I'd always thought of that as I have a few outstanding debts, but it's too much work to reprogram my speadsheet lol. but if you want to see it, let me know and I'll happily shoot it out to you (the real one as well in all it's confusing-ness). It works for me, though. I even have a little tab which tells me how much I'm "making" per hour, every hour (which right now is -$20.46, but that's due to recent purchases).

Cool stuff Jamie. I started using Quicken Home & Biz around '03 and then switched over to Quicken for Mac for personal accounts and payroll W-2's. Then I also use QuickBooks Pro for Mac to do my business which would be anything I produced or got 1099'd on.

This way my Schedule-C is all my QBP data and my 1040 is all from my Quicken. Not to mention the integration of Turbo Taxes helps keep me straight with the IRS. I would highly recommend these because of all the deductions we can take for our work is crazy... but also means a greater risk of an automated audit popping up.

Alfeo:

I was talking to someone else in the 600 about the very same thing. I think I should look into quickbooks and quicken.

I'm starting to save receipts for everything and I'm thinking that I need to speak with my accountant about how to do that correctly.

Much appreciated info!

• 3 weeks later...