SHOOTING A MUSIC VIDEO AND...

Jase Ryan

... would like some advice on the basic approach. I've shot a couple videos for hip hop artist and pop artist where there is not band playing behind the singers. But in this video, we are shooting on a stage with a metal band.

I'm wondering the best approach to this. Should they fully play the song all the way through each take? And should we still play the song off a computer or CD player really f#*king loud so they can hear above their instruments? Or do they mimic the playing of the instruments the best they can and listen to the music on the CD? Any information would help.

Thank You.

Jase

• Premium Member

Why not just keep the instruments unplugged? I mean for drums it might be an issue, but i'm sure "mimicking" drumming would look a bit silly.

As for playing it all the way through-- depends on budget/format.

If you could afford it multi camera-multi take of the whole song would be nice I'm sure.

If you can't afford it, single camera it the whole way through a few times (as a master/closeup) and go in for closes on all the "riffs" etc.

Just my rough thoughts.

• Premium Member

They play their own instruments (unplugged) along with a track. And yes, the drums are loud, but not as loud as the playback.

Whether or not you shoot the whole thing through from beginning to end depends on the shots you need. But unless you want a one'r, there isn't much reason to do this more than a couple times for wide shots and possibly the singers single.

• Premium Member

I like to let them all have their amps on, but I run the song track through them instead of having their instruments plugged in. - makes the song extremely loud which can help them get into it.- also all of the little lights and levels are seen in sync with the music.