Undertow

Went to see the opening night of David Gordon Green's Undertow here in Portland, Oregon last night, and have to say I was very impressed with the film.

Nice sense of ellipsis between scenes, wonderful colors, a nostalgic feel for historic film techniques (the freeze frame shots). Not to mention the whole ambience created in this film felt very regional and genuine something lacking from so many Hollywood films that just seem interested in employing some degree of "local color" as a kind of backdrop to a genre pic.

Of course, there were a few things I didn't care for (creeping zooms on actors, etc), but this has more to do with my own personal aesthetic taste than whether I think the story was told in an interesting way.

I think this issue or the last issue of American Cinematographer had an article about the film, no? Can anyone tell me the stocks used for this film. All I can remember is that Tim Orr did his first DI with this film.

The sad reality - and this relates to a comment I made in another thread - the reception at the cinema was horrible. I went to the film with my significant other, and there were 4 other people in the audience. Granted, it was a 10:25pm screening...but this was opening night of the film and a Friday night. I think the film will build an audience but what I seen happen with films of this kind is that usually after 1-2 weeks they get pulled and sometimes picked up by a second run theater.

In the case of Green's last film, All The Real Girl, the film played in Portland at a Regal Cinema for 7 days and left the screen and was NOT picked up by a second run theater. I was swamped with work when it played theatrically, and missed the film so I had to catch it on video (always a disappointment).

What's happening to the Cinema?

Regards,

Alain LeTourneau

David Gordon Greene's films have been recommended to me for a while now by my friends, I haven't managed too see Any of them theatrically.

Guess I'll catch the DVD's. --- it's a truism of "Indie" work in particular that the theatrical release is the promo for the video release. (I'm actually quoting a famous Indie producer I know).

So you're one step ahead of me. To put it another way, you're lucky to see it a film without MAJOR media hype behind it at all...

The first time I saw "The Conformist" (beautiful Tech IB print, Ha !) there were also 4 other people in the theater....

I saw Bresson's stunning "Lancelot du Lac" in NYC one afternoon, 3 of us in the theater;

a couple years later I was gaffing on a low budget feature, I mentioned this to the the DP, and he said "I was one of them" :)

It's a small world, Alain......

"What's happening to the Cinema?"

This is a whole subject in itself...

-Sam

• 2 weeks later...

So, there it went.

Undertow was on the screen in Portland for 2 weeks at a downtown multiplex (of the arthouse variety). No second run theater picked it up.

Green's last film was on the screen in Portland for 1 week. And was also not picked up by a second run theater.

Alain

I just noticed this thread, figured I'd comment since I got to see it at the Savannah film festival. Some parts of it were shot in Savannah and some of the people I know in town helped work on it. So when I sat down I thought to myself, "This had better be good!" Well, overall I thought most of it was very powerful both in the general mood and in character development, but I couldn't help feeling that the plot seemed to wander a little. (But there were some points in the film where I found it oddly compelling, because it sort of added to the tension.) Ultimately, I think it's definitely something very unique that people should see.

Of course, in Savannah it completely sold out and was absolutely packed, it got a standing ovation, and David Gordon Green himself was actually there to talk about the film. :)

• 1 month later...

I missed it back when I was at home in Minnesota. Anyway, DGG, is definately one of the more exciting young directors. I'd recommend Lynne Ramsay (Ratcatcher and Morvern Callar) to anyone who likes DGG films. George Washington has to be the most beautiful film shot for $40,000. and check out Terrence Mallick's film if you haven't seen his stuff. DGG borrows quite a bit from Mallick.

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this film in theatres. I never knew the actual release date. I know this is kind of ridiculous but does anyone know if it may be screening somewhere in LA like second run or more like 5th run?lol or am I out of luck for being able to see it projected on film.

I know...I probably will have to wait for the DVD...damn it! <_<

Jason, sorry to spoil the kozmic coincidence but 5 person screening I was at was somewhere in the Village (8th Street) circa 1981.

Maybe this is a once every two decades ritual !

hey, the fewer people looking for The Grail, the better your chance of finding it, right ? :D

-Sam