Where to go for best prices on gels in New York City

Justin Cordes

• Premium Member
Where are the best prices for gels, gaffers tape, etc in New York City? Also, what's the best way to get or shop for used gels, etc.?

As far as I know the prices of expendables doesn't vary much from shop to shop. But Kits and Expendables seems to have some items a dollar or two cheaper than say Barbizon or even B and H Photo. I suppose this is because Kits only does expendables so they can carry high volume and bring the price down a little. Also they might (if I remember correctly) do it tax free if you pay cash. When dealing with any production vendors in NYC it never hurts to ask for cash discounts.

As for "used gels" I've never done it from a store. I dont know of any business that advertises the sale of used gels. Definitely off of a friends G&E truck that happens to be on the job with all of the G&E all ready there. They would usually throw in some used color or diffusion for practically free.

You could ask Kits if they do it or if they know someone who does.

It might be worth calling bigger houses like CSC or Feature Systems to see if they might sell used gels. I've never done it but it seems like a reasonable enough request.

good luck

f

• Premium Member

When I work with this shop Xeno Lights in the city they basically give me all the used gels I can carry out of there... half rolls, full rolls, Rosco, Lee, whatever.

So I don't know. I guess having a good relationship with a house that does something like that could be beneficial.

• Premium Member
When I work with this shop Xeno Lights in the city they basically give me all the used gels I can carry out of there... half rolls, full rolls, Rosco, Lee, whatever.

So I don't know. I guess having a good relationship with a house that does something like that could be beneficial.

But aren't you already renting gear from Xeno when they give you those used gels? I think Justin is looking to walk in to a store and walk away with some cheap used gels and not rent a truck load of gear.

Well, it's not right in NYC, but I've worked with Shadowstone in Clifton, NJ. Competitive pricing and great staff.

Look at it this way Ross: it's not like "best prices" and "NYC" go together well anyway ;-) Then again, Jerzee is only marginally better for price.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to disagree with this statement. I've found Shadowstone to have great prices on gels. I believe they have nearly the entire Rosco line in sheets as well. Anything they don't have usually arrives the next day, with just a phone call. They have GAM and Lee as well.

Look at it this way Ross: it's not like "best prices" and "NYC" go together well anyway ;-) Then again, Jerzee is only marginally better for price.