"Experimental Love" Shot on Red Camera

Guest Chad MacKenzie

Guest Chad MacKenzie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQTM9LDi4c

Make sure you watch the HD version.

This production was for school and it was a nightmare. Didn't have permits or insurance so we had to cut a lot of shots, and were kicked out at one location. We scheduled to shoot for two days. The actress knew she had to be there the next day but couldn't get off work until 5PM, and the DP knew for at least 2 weeks we had this shoot but couldn't make it until 7PM so I decided to wrap everyone up after the first day and the director made the call to shoot the rest ourselves (director & me) the second day. Color on everything looked flat so I changed it from color to black & white in post. Originally it was supposed to have a story, but since all the chaos happened the director changed it into an artistic film.

Let me know what you think

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your production experience, as a fellow student I know of these messes of gargantuan proportion.

My primary comment is although it looked distinct, it sadly didn't seem like something that would require the RED - an EX1 would have given you very similar results. Did you plan anything else that required the RED over a regular camera?

You sure there was no other way to make it more contrasty without going to B/W? The whites were so unflattering-ly blown out it was hard to watch. It was like poorly acquired chiaroscuro, and I wonder why. Can't say that I am impressed with the video image as this camera handled it.