Redefining Love

Just finished up DPing on a three week shoot in Wilmington, NC for the feature Redefining Love. It stars Tim Woodward, Ryan Small, Jodi Sweetin (from Full House), and Sarah Laine. We shot on the RED ONE.

Please check out my work blog for screen grabs, set photos, and info here --->BLOG

Edited by Sing Howe Yam

If possible I would like your guys feedback and comments on my work. This was my first feature so critiques/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I do realize if this is what I wanted I should of probably put this in the Critique my work forum. My apologies!

The grabs look great, just a couple questions.

You said that you had to push the ISO from 320 to 500 for one of the shots, how did you (if you even needed to) change the lighting to compensate for this?

I also noticed that you used the Canon lenses to do their own diffusion to get rid of some of the sharpness of HD, was this enough diffusion or did you do anything in post to get rid of even more sharpness?

The grabs look great, just a couple questions.

You said that you had to push the ISO from 320 to 500 for one of the shots, how did you (if you even needed to) change the lighting to compensate for this?

I also noticed that you used the Canon lenses to do their own diffusion to get rid of some of the sharpness of HD, was this enough diffusion or did you do anything in post to get rid of even more sharpness?

Well the shot was on curve track and based on where I wanted the light to be it didn't suffice for the 320, plus with all the ambient light from street lamps, christmas lights in the distance, cars, etc. I wanted 2/3 of stop more just for a little more information. If I shot 320 I could have pushed in the light but the problem was the light would cast our shadows on the actors as we went around in our dolly move. This was the issue because finding the sweet spot for our light was the problem without 1) seeing our shadow 2) seeing the light at some point in the shot.

As for the lenses, it's still sharp don't get me wrong, but with their age and the older technology they were softer. As stated in my blog there were times where I added some Schneider Black Frost to the lens, but it wasn't really for just soften the image it was more for an effect. If you took the Canon FD's against a set of Zeiss Ultra Primes or even Super Speeds there would be a difference. The actresses we had on the shoot were all very pretty though too so I didn't really need to add a lot of diffusion, but a lot of my lighting was usually soft as well. Nothing was done in post.

What's the plan with the film?

Congrats!!

The film right now is in post and is scheduled to be screened Feb. 12. There is suppose to be a small theatrical release with I think 100 some Carmike theaters on the East Coast.

The stills look awesome Sing. What was the project about?

Chayse, the movie was a romantic comedy about a independently owned movie/music store who can't seem to find love. He can't find it because he's too scared to go out and try. When he does things kind of go to poop at first because his actions are too abrasive.

Edited by Sing Howe Yam

Well the shot was on curve track and based on where I wanted the light to be it didn't suffice for the 320, plus with all the ambient light from street lamps, christmas lights in the distance, cars, etc. I wanted 2/3 of stop more just for a little more information. If I shot 320 I could have pushed in the light but the problem was the light would cast our shadows on the actors as we went around in our dolly move. This was the issue because finding the sweet spot for our light was the problem without 1) seeing our shadow 2) seeing the light at some point in the shot.

I always forget when I see grabs that look so good that there is a lot of people behind the camera, haha. Thanks for the info!