Lighting night scene with a torch

I have to light a night exterior scene and I was thinking of using a torch. I do not know what color the light is going to come up on film. I'm using a super 16mm with Tungsten 500 film.

and also would the beam of light be mono directional therefor suggest to the audience it is actually a torch that has been used? Because the script does not require that.

Many thanks for you help

Hey Maurizio,

Just because you are using a torch doesn't mean that you will get odd colours out of, say, a tungsten filament.

Most torches have focus rings on them which means that you can vary between a wide beam and a narrow beam....

• Premium Member

Of course, in some parts of the world, a torch might mean an open flame on the end of a stick. :-)

My experience has been that flashlights tend to have a fairly low color temperature, so they tend to look a little orange/yellow on tungsten stock. It's not bad though, and you might like that look. You should also consider a test since xenon and LED lights are an option, and they have very different color temperatures than traditional tungsten bulbs.

Since where I live a torch is an open flame on the end of a stick as Ralph suggested, and everyone else is talking about a flashlight, I'll just comment on the color temp. You can always cut out gels and test them with a meter to make sure you have the right color temp, just keep adding/ removing gels until you get the right temp.

• 2 months later...

Are you lighting the scene with the torch mainly as your key? If so, it may be a great idea to place sections of poly (i believe its called beadbord in the usa) that the actor can shine the torch into and get a nice bounce back onto their face which will also provide quite a nice eyelight.

you'd be surprised how effective this could be and then you have the oppurtunity to bring the torch closer to the bounce or place the bounce in the best positions to get your effect

good luck