What pro camera?

qufilms

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum!

I have recently graduated from university and now am setting up as a freelance, camera, director and producer.

I am looking to invest in a professional camera that can produce great results.

I have not going down the HDV route yet as I want it to be more developed before I enter in that world.

The cameras I have been looking at are:

--Canon XL2

--JVC DV5000E

--Panasonic DVC200

The problem I have encountered is that it is said that the Canon can only produce 580 tv lines where the only two cameras can produce 800 tv lines.

Is this true>? and is there a real difference?

I want to invest in a camera that will last a few years and with excellent quality.

The types of work I will doing will be varied, from weddings, corporate to short films.

Any advice would be really appriciated and other ideas for considering different cameras would be good too.

SORRY this is so long, but I believe explaining it all now would help!!

Regards

Ant

Number one, the cameras you're looking at have different size CCDs. So obviously the resolution will be different.

Secondly, if you're thinking broadcast/video only, you might want to consider the final output resolutions. (regular SD res is only 640x480) Do you need a camera that can shoot 800 lines?

The XL2 is a viable camera and has progressive mode, which the dvc200 does not (nor does the 200 have a switchable 16:9 mode)

These cameras are at about the $5000 mark, you also need to consider what the price of accessories might be as well.

A popular camera around this forum is the Panasonic DVX100A. It's a sub $4000 camera now and it's quite versatile, the only camera within a grand that has progressive mode- if that means anything to you.

There are also the new HD cameras with 16:9 CCDs. If you're looking at future compatibility- possibly a decent B camera for HD productions in the future.

Good luck!

• Premium Member

If you're talking about pro cameras, I'd either be looking at the Sony DSR-570 or the Panasonic SDX900. Both have 2/3" 16x9 CCD's. The SDX900 can record in DVCPRO-50 which is near Digital Betacam quality but at a much cheaper price, plus it can shoot progressive-scan as well as interlaced-scan.

If you're talking about prosumer camcorders, then I'd be testing the Canon XL2, Panasonic DVX100A, or the new Sony HDV camera and see which you liked.

Is this not the time to buy a medium sized SD camera system? I too have considered the DVC200 as an affordable pro camera package that might last me some years, to be applied to various event type situations as well as personal projects and general growth and learning as a cinematographer. What's the DVC's life look like in five years? Yes, I am referring to HDV...

Edited by Shawn Mielke

I got the 100a, simply because of the price tag, it's the most versatile camera for the buck. Plus, my company is kind of in a transition right now and I had no idea how pricey I could go.

I think I scored some points with my boss by getting this camera, so we might be able to go HD sooner if we get some projects out the door with a decent camera and save some money at the same time.

Plus, with the 24p setting it will make a decent b-camera for an HD production- I would think.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The XL series are horrible shoulder mounted - too small for one thing, too large for the other. It's not really a "pro" camera anyway, no more than a DVX-100 is.

If you can possibly do it, get a DSR-570 It's absolutely the best available camera for the format, at least if you can't go all the way to an SDX-900 which is really a rather different league. I bought a DVC-200, and while I can't really beat myself up over the decision because I spent more than I should anyway, I constantly wish it were a DSR.

Don't know much about the JVC, but when I looked at the 500 alongside the DVC-200, the general build quality and particularly the viewfinder on the Panasonic seemed better. The only downside with the 200 is that it lacks a side-mounted LCD display (by which I mean a transreflective mono display for timecode and status information, not a colour video display) so all the notation is in the viewfinder and the audio metering is very poor. It doesn't take mini-sized tapes, but that's hardly an issue. Other than that I'm completely happy with it. Other than the fact that it isn't a DSR-570, grumble.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

Thank you for my comment.

The other reason I was considering the XL2 is that it is less more expensive than the others, plus I hear they keep their value quite well?

So in a couple of years when HD will be more developed I could sell the XL2 and buy a pro format HD camera? that make sense?

Ant

• Premium Member

Hi,

Almost all video gear devalues horribly quickly, so if it won't pay for itself in a few years, forget about it. A professional HD camera, even one of JVC's shoulder-mount HDV cameras, will likely always cost more than an XL2 ever will.

By the way, to answer your original question - yes, there's a difference in the resolution of professional equipment such as a JVC DV5000 and Panasonic DVC200, and a more consumer-oriented camera like an XL2 or DVX-100.

Phil

Hi phil, thanks for that.

After researching more I have found the JVC DV5000E for £3499, with high resolution. Obviously this does not inlcude 16.9 mode, 24f etc, but a lot of these effects can be created in post-production (if required).

As the XL2 is marking around the £3000+ mark I am considering the JVC. As my budget is around £4000 I can not afford to go over that limit.

And the heavy lens on the XL2 is still bugging me!

Would the JVC still output directly into my NLE suite via the firewire as a prosumer camera would?

(sorry to ask these simple questions - but it is the only way I will learn!!!)

• Premium Member

Hi,

> After researching more I have found the JVC DV5000E for £3499

Fine. Check whether that includes a lens. You can get a basic lens for £500, which will still be better than anything you can put on an XL1, but you may wish to budget for better. Battery system may well be extra as well. Things like this can be bought used - try LRC (http://www.lrcbroadcast.com).

> Would the JVC still output directly into my NLE suite via the firewire as a

> prosumer camera would?

Yes. That's the whole point - broadcast-level camera you can post on a £1000 edit station.

> And the heavy lens on the XL2 is still bugging me!

The lens on the DV5000 is going to be heavier - it's the price you pay for better handling. On top of the actual price, of course!

Phil