Underwater AC Needed

In about a week and a half I'm shooting the underwater unit on a short in Los Angeles and am in need of an ac. We are shooting Anamorphic 35 on a Pana 435. The rate is pretty decent, and there will be two days; a prep day and a shoot day. Here is specifically what I'm looking for: 1) Must have underwater experience with Hydroflex housing. I can't risk you BS'ing your way and not sealing the housing correctly soaking the camera. 2) Must be scuba certified. Our Safety diver will be there and everyone must checkout to be certified. 3) Must be comfortable pulling Ana 35. Experience preferred but not a necessity. Please send a resume along with a list of references. A reel or link to any footage would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, and look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Michael J. Schilling

a reel for an ac ?? come on! for a short film!!!

but a reel of what??? you can't be serious

talking one minute on the phone can tells you if an assistant knows the job or is telling bulshit.

What kind of reel do you expect? a racking focus reel??????

take no offense but a short film should make it possible for techniciens to learn new techniques and a camera assistant should'nt be asked to show a reel prior to work.

saying that i wish you good luck for you coming film.

a reel for an ac ?? come on! for a short film!!!

but a reel of what??? you can't be serious

talking one minute on the phone can tells you if an assistant knows the job or is telling bulshit.

What kind of reel do you expect? a racking focus reel??????

take no offense but a short film should make it possible for techniciens to learn new techniques and a camera assistant should'nt be asked to show a reel prior to work.

saying that i wish you good luck for you coming film.

I'm not asking for a reel from the AC, but if they know there's footage of underwater work they've done somewhere. I'm not so concerned with focus pulling as I am of knowledge of the housing. Anyone can BS over the phone. With an hour or so of reading and a 20 minute call to Hydroflex, almost anyone can talk like they have worked with it. I'm also back checking references. It's not like aerial or steadycam where you can just get away with it it you're not 100% sure(no offense to steady or aerial op's) The slightest unchecked tweak can soak the body or ruin a mag, and I have to be able to trust their knowledge and my life to this person since we are underwater together.

If you find that you are having trouble seeing through people's lie's in a conversation, you ought to consider conducting interviews and having the person work with the gear (if you own it, or go the rental house) in front of you. Hydroflex or other rental places can often give you some names too.

If you are having trouble finding someone, consider whether your rate is decent enough for the level of experience you are expecting. Few AC's are certified divers, let alone experienced enough divers to be focusing on AC work while having to monitor themselves underwater at the same time. Those that are charge much more than an AC normally would working on land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Do you still need someone? Is this a union show?

I'm not near by (I'm in NY) and probably late but if you ever need an underwater AC again let me know. I'm certified diver including Nitrox and have experience with housings by Gates and others. You can also check out scubaboard.com (I'm one of the few professionals but there are others local with housing knowledge).

If you haven't started shooting yet I'll gladly fly out.

Thanx,

Marque DeWinter