Pro8mm company

Steven Adams

Just wondering if any one here ever did business with Pro8 or know of someone whoe did. I'm considering getting one of there 8mm cams and would like to have some feed back if any on the comany.

A couple of years ago, I bought a bundle of S-8 Tri-X from Pro8 with processing pre-paid. I was satisfied with the service in all important aspects. Turnaround, lab processing, value. It was all fine. I would use them again, based on my experience. One of the labs I was using skimped on leader, but now I can't remember which one. I haven't used Pro8 since, because I started shooting K40 exclusively.

I have often been tempted to try their color negative stocks, but never have.

You ask about cameras. I have a couple of Beaulieus (and your post, by the way, might be better attended in the 8mm forum), but no experience with the Pro8 refit for that camera, or the company's other offerings. I have one of the old Super-8 Sound (old -- from when they were a Massachusetts-based company) crystal sync modules for the 4008. I especially like the design because it's modular. It's failed, unfortunately, and when I contacted Pro8 (relatively recently) about the prospect of having the unit repaired, they were (disappointingly, I thought) unhelpful and uninterested. The unit is twenty-odd years old, though, and hasn't been sold by them for who-knows-how-long, and so the result/their response really might not be too unreasonable (or even surprising).

You can check the status of Pro8 (and other companies) through the Better Business Bureau. Here is Pro8's report from the LA bureau:

http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=27000659

Just wondering if any one here ever did business with Pro8 or know of someone whoe did. I'm considering getting one of there 8mm cams and would like to have some feed back if any on the comany.

Thanks,

Steve A

The general consensus from many people who use them is fairly negative. I do have my own mixed experiences with them, a positive experience when meeting their CEO and a number of negative experiences when trying to use their services.

Whether you like their results and services is one thing, however the services they do provide tends to be expensive.

You could easily buy a camera and have it serviced by others both in the US and Europe. Ask people in the Super 8 forum for contacts.

You can easily work with Super 8 with no contact with Pro8mm.

Best of luck,

Andy