A switar zoom on a Eclair ACL?

LangISback

I've just found a great Eclair ACL with a Tobin motor that runs just great!,

the problem, as always, is the lens. It's equiped with the 12-120 Angenieux that no one likes. I know that with the c-mount I can mount some descent switar primes, but I'd like also to have the choice of a zoom lens.

Do you know if one of those switar zooms would be a good choice for this camera?, I've seen they have a bulky chunk of metal in the lower part of the mount, so I don't know if it is even possible to mount them.

thanks a lot and best wishes!!

Lang

• 3 weeks later...

The only Switar zoom I have ever seen was a parralex lens converted by (only god knows) someone to be a through the lens viewer....and I do mean through the lens....the cameras eyepiece was kind of periscoped off the side of the lens...I'l check with the guy who owned this lens I think he still has it...I do believe it was a C-mount used on a Bolex.....

JD

www.Cineshooter.com

• Premium Member
Wait....why does nobody like the 12-120 Angenieux? I'm just curious.

It's not the best lens out there, least of all from it's generation. The lens is notoriously soft at the wide end. If you're shooting wide open at 12mm don't expect to get any useable footage. The lens uses springs which tend to go bad over time (as opposed to threading on other lenses) as well as some other construction issues.

I have an old 12-120 which is in decent condition. It holds focus thoughout the entire zoom range and the tracking and zoom curve is spectacular, but I think before I purchased it had been in storage for 25 years in a position where the springs were not stressed and the iris leaves were open and resting. But you RARELY find one in that condition. Even my good ang. doesn't hold up to my Zeiss or Cooke zooms of the same generation.

It has a distinct look. But most of them you will find have been abused so that distinct look is soft focus >8P I'm being harsh though. I'm the type of guy who would rather shoot with his old cookes and schneiders than a set of master primes... although the S4's are pretty HOT.

I saw a 10-150 with a PL mount on it once. I had to giggle.

the Angeniu is sort of like the 'Fisher Price my first film lens'....they seem to have been the 'standard issue' for many old and used 16mm cameras, the image is there, however not pristine...the lens breathes heavy (from what I remember) and is not 'extremely sharp' other than in the middle of the lens and not to far before or past an F5.6 - remember most lens will have a sweet spot that is one or two stops down from wide open - try the canon 10-120 (I think) Flourite lens - Extremely sharp, very sweet piece of glass.....(FOR OLD 70'LENSES) remember a good lens 30 years ago is still a good lens today (as long as it has not been abused)....

Happy shooting....

JD

www.cineshooter.com