Nizo Dilemma

Matt Kemp

One of my cameras has to go, but which one..

It's either a mint Nizo Pro, or a mint black 801 Macro. Both have an ultrawide lens, Braun metal box and the rest, and also a Nizo underwater casing and matte box.

My girlfriend gives me till Friday, but I just don't know. My head says keep the Pro, but my heart is with the 801.

Which would you sell, and which would you keep?

Actually a genuine question for all the Nizo heads out there. Apologies to anyone who feels they've wasted their time reading this ridiculous post.

• Premium Member

Ditch the girlfriend. Someone forcing you to make such decisions is not someone who has her heart at a place where it considers "you" - and that it should be, at least in a serious relationship that wants to go beyond the Friday night post-pub lay.

Nizo Pro has better MC'd Schneider 11x7mm and bespoke internal componentry, plus the integrated energy solution for shooting on tripods without bridging cable. This increases it's cinematographic value way above the 801.

But the 801 Black is rare, and is hence collectible. alhtough the silver-anodised bodies were the signature feature of Braun Nizo, the exotism of the Black edition is the little "va-va-voom" in the line-up... like you love white sheep, but you also fall for the black sheep in the flock (sorry, just came back down from Scotland...).

If you want to primarily shoot, and shoot in the long-run (i.e. S8 is something you take professionally serious), then keep the Pro.

If you are an occassional S8 shooter and deep down in your heart know that this is an episode in your life and might soon end with all the pricing going through the roof and the looming Second Great Depression making cinematography an unsustainable career for you, then keep the 801 Black in it's mint-ness, and safe a space in your crystal glass showcase to flabbergast your diner party friends in the year 2030.

Cheers,

-Michael

Yup, get rid of the girlfriend. What kind of person would complain about this? It won't stop with the Nizo, either.

Seriously, these are major control issues-- the money's not big enough to be a factor, and it's yours anyway.

The voice of experience-- any girlfriend who doesn't think you're cool to have this stuff is bad news-- for anybody. Send us her picture.

Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand. Thanks also Michael for the technical info. I was under the impression that apart from the power supply and 25fps thing, the two cameras were basically the same inside. The fact that they're not may well prove to be the deciding factor.

Unless that is I follow both your advice..

Thanks again

• Premium Member
Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand. Thanks also Michael for the technical info. I was under the impression that apart from the power supply and 25fps thing, the two cameras were basically the same inside. The fact that they're not may well prove to be the deciding factor.

The Pro also has more sepmag sync tools on board, also I am unsure you might need them ever, but who knows. Recent issue of Super 8 Today has an article about the Nizo Pro in it, including a nice pic from its circuit board courtesy of Braun :-)

(disclaimer: yea, I wrote that article, sorry for the ruthless self-promotion, but every issue of S8Today sold is worth it!)

Either way, they're both terrific machines. I would go with what your heart says and keep the 801, I doubt the extra features of the Pro will be absolutely neccesary unless you're on a big project with loads of time and money invested, in which case the Pro would probably be best, not that I profess to have any sort of expertise worth mentioning on the subject (that's Mr Lehnert's department).

Also, if your girlfriend is so eager that you part with one of your treasured possesions for money (which is what I presume it is, what with the recession n'all) perhaps she should part with one of hers too.

I do have some sympathies here - I'm forever being chastised for my film "clutter" but wont give any of them up - fight the power!

Do you have a loft - stash 'em up there - you keep the cameras, she'll never know, unless the loft needs lagging and she likes the smell of fibreglass in the morning!

(Note: I have never used this strategy so don't vouch for any outcomes and recriminations!)