Konvas 30M magazine

Paul Bruening

Anyone, here, been inside the gear works of a 30M magazine? Does it have gear works in it that regulate the film speed to and from the gate? If not, how does it do that?

Konvas cameras do not have of 30 m film magazines.

Konvas cameras have 60 m ( 200 ft ) and 120 m ( 400 ft ) film magazines only.

May be you ask about other camera ? like AKS-1 ?

If we told about Konvas cameras, 60 m and 120 m magazines have similar mechanical scheme of drive. The magazine have two cog's wheel rollers and take-up axis of roll and feed axis of roll.

the take-up axis of film roll have contact with main mechanism of magazine by friction clutch.

The friction clutch control of variable speed of rotation of take-up axis.

If the film magazine do not use long time, the friction clutch can be jammed and film magazine do not work and need repair and service.

The cog's wheel rollers ask of service too, because, have drag-bar inside.

The drag-bar device very important for procedure of film loading and at working of magazine.

If you have more questions or need diagrams or need more pictures, can ask me and send letter to my direct email olex.camera@gmail.com

• Premium Member
Konvas cameras do not have of 30 m film magazines.

Konvas cameras have 60 m ( 200 ft ) and 120 m ( 400 ft ) film magazines only.

May be you ask about other camera ? like AKS-1 ?

If we told about Konvas cameras, 60 m and 120 m magazines have similar mechanical scheme of drive. The magazine have two cog's wheel rollers and take-up axis of roll and feed axis of roll.

the take-up axis of film roll have contact with main mechanism of magazine by friction clutch.

The friction clutch control of variable speed of rotation of take-up axis.

If the film magazine do not use long time, the friction clutch can be jammed and film magazine do not work and need repair and service.

The cog's wheel rollers ask of service too, because, have drag-bar inside.

The drag-bar device very important for procedure of film loading and at working of magazine.

If you have more questions or need diagrams or need more pictures, can ask me and send letter to my direct email olex.camera@gmail.com

Thanks for the answer, Olex. I like to do as much as possible on the open threads so others can benefit from the info exchange. I did mean to say 60M. But, I goofed the math up in my head (darn that metric system). I was wondering about the mags in terms of film speed. From what you've said can I assume the film take-up speed will be halved if the exposed gear on the back is driven at half speed?

• Premium Member

Bruening, you're up to something. Can't tell what, but something's stirring in that noodle of yours. You haven't gone out and purchased a Konvas, have you? Or are you dreaming up some film-out device that uses a Konvas mag? Unfortunately, I have no idea what goes on under the thin black covers on the mags-- when they don't work I send 'em out. If you want to get a look inside one, let me know and I'll send you one.

Bruce

Thanks for the answer, Olex. I like to do as much as possible on the open threads so others can benefit from the info exchange. I did mean to say 60M. But, I goofed the math up in my head (darn that metric system). I was wondering about the mags in terms of film speed. From what you've said can I assume the film take-up speed will be halved if the exposed gear on the back is driven at half speed?

About 60 m/ 200 ft magazine of Konvas-1M, 2M cameras

The output gear of body of camera have 19 cogs and have speed of 480 turns per minute ( 8 turns per second ) at 24 fps speed of camera.

The magazine input gear have 19 cogs and have speed 480 turns per minute ( 8 turn sped second ) at 24 fps of camera.

This is gear set at axis of cog's wheel rollers with 12 cogs ( for holes of perfotaion of film )

( 8 tuns per second of speed of rottaion of cog's wheel roller (x) 12 cogs = linear displacement 96 perforation per secons (:) 4 ( perforation per frame) = speed 24 fps )

The input gear of magazine to pass of rottaion on big main gear of transmission. The big mail gear have 98 cogs for Konvas-1M, 2M 60 m magazines , (95 cogs= for 60 m magazines of KSR-1,1M) The big main gear of transmission have speed 93 turns per minute ( 1.55 per second ) at 24 fps.

The big main gear of magazine transmission pass of rotation on gear with 34 cogs of Konvas-1M,K-2M ( 39 cogs= KSR-1, 1M and 57 cogs of 120 m film magazine of konvas-1M, 2M ) of take-up axis = speed 268 turns per minute ( 4.46 per second ).

The film, at speed 24 fps, have linear displacement 19 mm per frame and 456 mm per second .

The take-up roll of film can have minimum diameter 25 mm.

The linear displacement 78.5 mm per turns ( * ) maximum speed of take-up axis 4.46 turns per second at 24 fps = 350 mm length of film to winding, per second.

We can see, the linear displacement of film af film gate ( 456 mm ) have more high value from minimum linear displacement of film at take-up axis of film magazine ( 350 mm ).

But, this is do not bad, too much, because, the equality of film gate speed and on take-up axis will at diameter of take-up roll of film 32 mm.

The maximum diameter of film roll at take-up roll = 110 mm and linear displacement of film will

1540 mm at speed 24 fps.

We can see, At maximum diameter of take-up rool, the the linear displacement of film af take-up roll have 1540 mm at second and to have more high value from fixed linear displacement of film at film gate 456 mm at second and this is disparity must compensate of friction clutch.

And, At minimum diameter of take-up rool of film, the friction clutch have transmission ratio 1:1 and speed of take-up roll have maximum value 4,46 turns per second at speed 24 fps.

At maximum diameter of take-up roll of film, the friction clutch must have transmission ratio 1:3.38

( input speed of axis 4,46 turns per second, output speed of take-up roll and speed 1.32 turns per second ).

At final, The take-up roll of film can have minium linear displacement 350 mm per second ( = 18 frames per seccond ), up to maximum linear displacement 1540 mm per second ( = 81 frames per second ).

And the friction clutch control of output speed of take-up roll on value of linear displacement 456 mm per second ( 24 frames per second ).

• Premium Member

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Olex. I'll copy and paste that into my permanent data base.

Bruening, you're up to something. Can't tell what, but something's stirring in that noodle of yours. You haven't gone out and purchased a Konvas, have you? Or are you dreaming up some film-out device that uses a Konvas mag? Unfortunately, I have no idea what goes on under the thin black covers on the mags-- when they don't work I send 'em out. If you want to get a look inside one, let me know and I'll send you one.

Bruce

I can't buy anything at present. So, I'm grinding ideas to make me feel like I'm not broke. I like the modularity of the Konvas mags. But, the $5,000.00 price tag to convert a 1M or 2M to 2-perf isn't even imaginable to me, now. So, I'm mulling around ideas of conversion plate jamming another head onto a Konvas mag. That's all.