shooting 6fps

Jose Aguirre

i'm shooting a short with the red one and i have a few questions.

i read in a previous post that the red can only shoot between 24 (4k) and 120 (2k) fps. is this true? i intend to shoot 6fps second and print every frame 4 times (yes, chunking express).

I've also read that in order to pull this off, i need to print the footage in an optical printer. i don't know anything about this. does anyone have any information on this?

I'm also shooting at 60 fps. is there anything i should be concerned about or aware of when cutting between 3k and 4k? I've also been told that you can't record different frame rates on one drive. is this true?

any help would be appreciated.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Please change your log in to your real name, it's been a requiremnet for a couple of years now.

Stephen

i read in a previous post that the red can only shoot between 24 (4k) and 120 (2k) fps. is this true? i intend to shoot 6fps second and print every frame 4 times (yes, chunking express).

I've also read that in order to pull this off, i need to print the footage in an optical printer. i don't know anything about this. does anyone have any information on this?

I'm also shooting at 60 fps. is there anything i should be concerned about or aware of when cutting between 3k and 4k? I've also been told that you can't record different frame rates on one drive. is this true?

You can shoot 1 - 120fps with the RED no problem (though, over 30fps you have to go to 3k, and over 60fps 2k). The only issue is that you won't be able to record audio on the RED. Set the RED to Varispeed and then adjust it down to the frame rate you want. As far as printing those 6 frames into 24, I know you can do it on a computer, but I don't know of a automatic method. Final Cut Pro might actually do it for you, but I don't know that for a fact.

You can record 4k, 3k, 2k all on the same Drive/CF card AS LONG as it stays in the same base frame rate (IE: either 23.98, 24, 25, or 29.97) So if you switch between 23.98 and 29.97, then you'd have to reformat the drive/cf card, before you could switch frame rates. BTW, cutting between 3k/4k looks pretty good. Cutting between 4k/2k is not so great--unless you are going down to 720p/SD (it's acceptable, but if you've got your face stuck up in the monitor you can see the difference.)

Matthew

one other question. i assume you can't ramp on the red? does anyone have info on changing speeds in shot?

Sure can! IIRC the Varispeed menu has options for when and how to ramp. You can do it based on shot duration, external trigger, etc. You can go up (or down) to any framerate allowed by the current settings.