F900R and film print

Colm Whelan

I am about to shoot a feature with the f900R. I am comfortable with this camera and its menus but the transfer to a film print is a new departure for me and I'm trying to avoid the pitfalls. I am reading on here that there are various settings that I would normally play with that will adversely affect any transfer (like the black levels). So I have a few questions.

Can anyone tell me what I should not change if I want the optimum result for a film print. I wanna create a particular look as the movie is set in spain and has a western feel to it so I'd like to go some way down the road of the look in 3.10 to Yuma. But I know I can get what I want in camera grading (obviously not as good as the movie but in the right direction) but I dont wanna do it if the film transfer is then going to suffer

also I normally operate in 25fps. (pal) Is it a major advantage to shoot 24p when transferring to film or should I stick with 25 and alter it in post. should I shoot 24 and let the post house sort it out?

thanks

also I am using a set of zeiss digiprimes. I've heard people on here talking about dof adaptors. can anyone explain? is this just a system for using 35mm lenses?

I would discuss the best settings for a film out with whoever is doing your transfer to film.

Regarding the 24p v 25p, I wouldn't just leave to post to sort out because everything in Europe is so set up for 25 fps you could create unnecessary problems for them. For example (although it mightn't apply now) on AVID you needed to buy a key to operate at 24fps.

For large screen work most people recommend not using the 35mm Adapters because they soften the image, but use the Digiprimes instead.