XH-A1 Component out question

Chris Bowman

Someone I was talking to recently claimed that my XH-A1 would output pre-compression 1080i in 4:2:2 from the component video out. I haven't been able to locate any documentation that either confirms or refutes this. I have a friend who wants to shoot some chroma key scenes, and I was wondering if I could get better results from the component outs to a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card and recording uncompressed or with a low compression format?

For that matter, would I be better off shooting most of my footage that way? (Assuming I can haul around a PC and all)

• Premium Member

Chris,

I know that people use BMI cards to capture HDMI out of their HV-20/30/40's with good success.

I've heard that the component out of the A1 is a little bit soft. But for keying, having the extra color data will probably be helpful. I'd try shooting a test scene in HDV and seeing if you like the results before going the capture route.

Of course, if you have the money and time, then go for it. But you're looking at the cost of an Intensity Pro card and a portable capture computer and the hassle getting everything up and running. And I'm pretty sure you'd have to synch the sound in post.